Fin rot

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

apinkmanatee

Aquarium Advice Activist
So this is fin rot right? Why does it happen and what do I do? The tank parameters have been perfect and he has seemed so happy...I don't understand. My husband also said he saw him scraping against the sand. Help!!!

image-1744031084.jpg

Yes. That sounds like a good plan.
Are they are other symptoms? I think I see white edges on the fins. Even if those are normal coloration, the tail does look ratty.
Do you have a test kit to measure the water parameters? What size tank? Any tankmates? How long has it been set up?

No other symptoms. Yes I tested the water and ammonia is at .25 ppm. I just checked it this morning and it was fine. Arg. No other tank mates. 15 gallon tank. We got him about two weeks ago. I had not cycled the tank properly first (i was misinformed!) so that may be the issue. Shoot! We just changed the water so hoping that will help.

Thanks for your help :)

Ok. In that case, yes, keepup with the pwc you suggested and salt. Under these circumstances, IMO its likely that its just generic fin rot and should hopefully go away pretty easily. It not uncommon in new bettas. Good luck. Keep us posted. I hope it clears up.

So I've been changing the water daily (50%) and adding salt. He still looks about the same...I'm not sure when I should expect to see improvement? Or should I be running to the lfs to get some medication? I'm worried about my little guy :(

when you do your water changes seachem prime will help make the ammonia less toxic until you do the next water change. you might have to do 2 changes a day until the ammonia is at 0. i think the problems are from the tank being uncycled and not any other disease. i wouldn't treat or add medication until you get the ammonia level to 0. how long has your tank been set up? what are your other water parameters? nitrites, nitrates, and ph? if you don't have the prime water conditioner i would get that at your fish store and use it right away. do you have liquid tests? the strips aren't as accurate and it's important to get reliable results especially when you are cycling the tank. also google aquarium cycling and read about the process and what to expect when you do a fish-in cycle. good luck. :)

when you do your water changes seachem prime will help make the ammonia less toxic until you do the next water change. you might have to do 2 changes a day until the ammonia is at 0. i think the problems are from the tank being uncycled and not any other disease. i wouldn't treat or add medication until you get the ammonia level to 0. how long has your tank been set up? what are your other water parameters? nitrites, nitrates, and ph? if you don't have the prime water conditioner i would get that at your fish store and use it right away. do you have liquid tests? the strips aren't as accurate and it's important to get reliable results especially when you are cycling the tank. also google aquarium cycling and read about the process and what to expect when you do a fish-in cycle. good luck. :)

The tank has been set up for a few weeks. Temp is 80. Nitrates are 0. Ammonia is between a 0 and .25, I've been doing 50-75% water changes daily, a few times I have done them twice a day. Even with that, the ammonia never gets to a 0 lately. The PH has been fine. Nitrites...I can't find a testing kit for that, I'm gonna have to go to the lfs which is a little farther away, but I haven't been in too much of a rush since I'm doing daily water changes anyway. But I do need to get it. I am using the liquid tests.

I use Tetra Aqua Safe Plus to condition the water. Is that the same thing as seachem prime? Do they serve the same purpose? Or different? I went and got some just in case. Should I use that in addition to the aquasafe? I also picked up some melafix. You said I should wait until the ammonia is at 0 to use that?

I have also seen him swimming in circles, like he is chasing his tail. So now I'm not sure if he is doing that because his tail is bugging him, or if he was the one to bite off chunks of his tail. I haven't seen him bite at it, now that it's shorter he can never catch it. Other than that he's acting completely normal, eating well, he is very active.

Thanks for your help. Let me know what you think about the seachem prime and melafix!

.25 ammo isn't really a big deal though. If you are keeping it around there, its fine.
Have you tried googling columnaris? It often tend to be a little faster moving than this and has more symptoms. So, thats a good sign for you. Remember, first the rot has to stop before the fin can heal. If the fish isn't worse, thats good. Just keep it up and hopefully he will start getting better. :) Keep us updated to see if anything changes.

Ok so basically I just need to chill out a little and give it time :) I'm just such a paranoid fish mom. I'll try to relax!

+1 on columnaris moving fast. I lost my Betta - went from happy and healthy to dead in like 48 hours. His fins just disintegrated... Betta fins seem to heal well given time and clean water, I hope yours recovers soon. Keep us posted!

I don't believe it's columnaris. It's too slow moving. To me it sound like fin rot. IMO its not going to heal while the tank is cycling. Be very carful dosing melifix with bettas. Some don't respond well. Try Bettafix or a 1/5 dose of the melifix.

Mumma.of.two said:
I don't believe it's columnaris. It's too slow moving. To me it sound like fin rot. IMO its not going to heal while the tank is cycling. Be very carful dosing melifix with bettas. Some don't respond well. Try Bettafix or a 1/5 dose of the melifix.

Yea not so sure it's columnaris. THIS is columnaris!!

http://www.aquariumadvice.com/forums/f100/help-urgent-fish-mayday-188992.html

Whatever it is, I hope your fish gets better!!

Good luck!

Back
Top Bottom