Fin rot?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
No, the fiter pad with carbon has been in the filter for about 5 months.

When you medicate your fish, you are supposed to take out the carbon because the carbon takes the medicine out of the water

And I'm not too sure about this, but I've heard that if you leave carbon too long without changing it, it can leach chemicals into the water. I tend to remove my carbon every 3ish months

Finrot takes time to heal since the tail has to regrow. It can be a bugger to treat. If it's getting worse I'm wondering if that med you are using may not be helping him.

I've tried different meds for finrot and what helped the most by far was Maracyn 2. Can you get some of this?

Finrot takes time to heal since the tail has to regrow. It can be a bugger to treat. If it's getting worse I'm wondering if that med you are using may not be helping him.

I've tried different meds for finrot and what helped the most by far was Maracyn 2. Can you get some of this?

I used the same medicine as Sandy and it really worked

Usually fin rot occurs when the water quality starts to decline. 3 weeks before a water change isn't really enough.

Most people on here do 1 50% water change a week.

Do you have an API master test kit? My guess is that nitrates are too high which would definitely make your fish irritable and stressed. When I fish becomes stressed disease usually follows.

In my opinion, medications are a last resort. Change upping your water change schedule and tank maintenance.

Vacuum the gravel once a week and wash the filter doing in tank water that has been removed during a water change. Don't wash it in tap water.

Also toxins like nitrate will build up very quickly in a smaller tank. You may need to upgrade to at least a 5 gallon.

A healthy varied diet will also be better for the fish. Frozen bloodworms, peas cooked from frozen and de-shelled as well as a good quality dry food will help the better recover. Be sure not to overfeed though as this will affect the water quality and work against the water changes. The peas and bloodworm should only be fed once or twice a week though.

Do these things and your betta should recover in no time without medications.

Usually fin rot occurs when the water quality starts to decline. 3 weeks before a water change isn't really enough.

Most people on here do 1 50% water change a week.

Do you have an API master test kit? My guess is that nitrates are too high which would definitely make your fish irritable and stressed. When I fish becomes stressed disease usually follows.

In my opinion, medications are a last resort. Change upping your water change schedule and tank maintenance.

Vacuum the gravel once a week and wash the filter doing in tank water that has been removed during a water change. Don't wash it in tap water.

Also toxins like nitrate will build up very quickly in a smaller tank. You may need to upgrade to at least a 5 gallon.

A healthy varied diet will also be better for the fish. Frozen bloodworms, peas cooked from frozen and de-shelled as well as a good quality dry food will help the better recover. Be sure not to overfeed though as this will affect the water quality and work against the water changes. The peas and bloodworm should only be fed once or twice a week though.

Do these things and your betta should recover in no time without medications.

I normally change water 1 a week. I already do pretty much everything you just said :)

I used the same medicine as Sandy and it really worked

Okay.

I could, but since it is powder I cant split it up easily
EDIT: I am using Seachem Paraguard medications.

Sent from my GT-S7560M using Aquarium Advice mobile app

When I used the powder I split it up using some cups. I evened the amount by using just my eyes (not using any form of measurements and it's okay if it's a little bit off). So basically I spilt one package into four different cups using my sense of evenness :)

So I was looking at my betta and I noticed some fin looked shorter and a bit like fin rot. So I am here for help. I have attached pics.
Size of aquarium: 2.5G
Heater:Yes
Water change schedule: generally 1 33% per 2 weeks, before noticing fin rot it had been around 3 weeks.
Cycled: Yes
How long has tank been set up: about since october 2013
History of disease in tank: None
Please help!!!

NOTE: There is some algae/white on the acrylic.

But because here you say 1 third a week then 1 third three weeks before the fin rot showed up.

You need a liquid test kit anyway to check your parameters.

I already own a liquid test kit.

I havent tested. Even if the nitrates were the problem it is gone now.
Removed carbon,dosed yesterday, still no improvements

Can I change water while I am dosing because I have been dosing for around 8 days and havent been able to PWC?

It should say on the instructions how long to dose and amounts of water changes

It says as long as necessary but I have dosed fir over a week. Also my betta is showing signs of stress. Should i stop for a day or two? My betta still doeesnt have much fin

You should probably do the water change then. The medication hasn't made it better?

It has somewhat.
Can I every other day PWC while dosing medicine because Ichad to move filter pad because it has carbon, but thats where all my BB is.

Hi, eduguy, I wish you the best with your Betta.

I just found your posting. I believe what people are suggesting is that since you have not seen improvement, that you should switch to myracin 2, and dose with that fin rot medication.

Secondly, at this critical time it is very important to test your water daily prior to dosing, at the very least for ammonia. But, preferably for all.

I'm not sure about paraguard's affects on the nitrogen cycle. But, dosing with any medicine I would consider the nitrogen cycle to be messed up.

I would suggest that you buy a small quarantine aquarium/container. Move the Betta into it. Treat the Betta in that aquarium. Totally empty his tank, rinse his gravel real good, totally clean his filter and buy "Dr. Tim's one and only live nitrifying bacteria" and his ammonia. Thus, while your fish is healing. His old tank will be cycling to completion. Using Dr. Tim's it takes about 3 days to 1 week. ( he has a website, amazon and some local stores carry his product line ).

Good luck with your Betta!

Back
Top Bottom