First 150 gallon build!!!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Okay I have a question of stocking this 150 gallon tank. Currently I have:
4 fuelleborni
3 male peacocks
3 labs
4 Moori(3 on order)
2 afra
2 "giant" demasoni
3 acei
2 rustys
1 featherfin cat.

To much? I don't think it is but I'm trying to plan on when they are full grown. I would like to add at least 2 more fuelleborni and some more peacocks as well. Any thoughts?

i think those are fine in your tank as far as stocking amounts, and the extra fuelleborni would be fine. however, aggression issues will arise with the mixes u want, such as the acei and the fuelleborni, i havnt heard many good things about them together. or the afra and peacocks, people have had bad experiences there too. but its all down to how many males, whos got what personality and wether the tank has enough cover for the bullied to hide.

which fish do u plan on being female? i think ud b better with picking 3 to 4 varieties of fish and doing a 1m 3f ratio, but the colour scheme ul have with ur plan would be stunning! so.... yeah what females? x

Well I only have one male fuelleborni and only planned on adding females. The afras are pretty small compared to the peacocks and they seem pretty happy so far. As far as the Acei go I wouldn't mind rehoming them. I'm not sure of the sexes on the afras and acei, I know there is at least one male acei but that's the extend of my knowledge. Then with the peacocks I thought you could have all males or males with lots of females.... Is that true?

The Afras are different varieties one is a white top and the other is a cobue.

yes it is true, however if u have all male peacocks then they will terrorise everything else in the tank. it only works as a rule if theres only males overall of everything in the tank x

Ohhh... That makes sense. Well I won't get any more peacocks and try to sex my afras and acei. Stick to adding female fuelleborni and just see how things turn out. Plus I'm not sure how my demasoni are going to act. The are only about an inch long but supposedly they are "giant" demasoni and have better attitudes.

I've heard about 3" or 4". Mine are still tiny so I'm not sure. I didn't even know they existed until I bought them on accident instead of the blue dolphin Moori because they call the giant demasoni blue dolphins too

I've heard about 3" or 4". Mine are still tiny so I'm not sure. I didn't even know they existed until I bought them on accident instead of the blue dolphin Moori because they call the giant demasoni blue dolphins too

yes, but chances are there will be an aggressor amont them and u will have to remove the bad ones anyway, so adding an excess would be better imo x

what peacocks are u after btw?

Empress red or german red. Something like that. And I had forgotten about my firefish. So I have 4 peacocks. How many females would you suggest getting? If I have plenty of room then I would be happy to get them. Plus I have some pretty males so the fry would be awesome.

I really like the sulfur heads and eureka red ones too. As of right now I have a sunshine, Taiwan reef, firefish, and a blue regal peacocks.

Just some pics from the tank earlier.

image-1170771906.jpg
The Taiwan reef. :)

Attachments

• image-918983120.jpg
    image-918983120.jpg
    37.4 KB · Views: 66
  • image-2253231779.jpg
    image-2253231779.jpg
    61.4 KB · Views: 71
  • image-3382891617.jpg
    image-3382891617.jpg
    60 KB · Views: 75
4 fuelleborni
3 male peacocks
3 labs
4 Moori(3 on order)
2 afra
2 "giant" demasoni
3 acei
2 rustys
1 featherfin cat.
of these imo, females:
3 fuelleborni
2 afra
2 g demasoni
2 acei
2 rustys
2 labs
3 moori
males:
1 fuelleborni
1 acei
1 lab
1 moori

you said about adding like 10 peacocks, so id say do 3 males 7 females.

the reason im saying so many females for everything is thats its going to keep aggression down and allows for any accidental purchasing of males when they were supposed to be female. plus i hear male rustys and g demasoni can be quite bossy to a new level. but this is based on what iv heard! dont shoot the messenger :) lol x

I haven't been able to sex the demasoni, rustys, labs, and Moori. However I was lookin at the acei last night and I'm pretty sure I have one male and two females. I'm not super fond of the rustys so rehoming them wouldn't be a problem if I have to. Then as far as the peacocks go I would like to add as many females as needed so whatever number would work best.

Also the afra. I can't sex them either just because I'm not sure how to sex these species, especially with how young they are

lol.u dont necessarily have to catch them, i vented most of mine by sitting on the floor and looking up at the fish when they came to greet me so i still got a good view and didnt bother chasing them.
males have a small anus and vent which is usually brown in colour, while females have a small anus and rounder, larger vent which can be red or pinky in colour.
here is a great link: Malawi Cichlids, Malawi Species Profiles, African Cichlids, Lake Malawi, Malawi Forum, Tanks, Articles, Books, Videos

Back
Top Bottom