First blue ram :)

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I think I'm going to have to bring the new guy back Marleys been chasing it around :/ ahh I guess I'll try again

So what should I look for now a female Or male? This is confusing haha

IMO I would be searching for a female, worse case scenario you have 2 females no big deal. If you search for a male then worse case scenario marley turns out to be male and has issues with the other. Just my thoughts on it

IMO I would be searching for a female, worse case scenario you have 2 females no big deal. If you search for a male then worse case scenario marley turns out to be male and has issues with the other. Just my thoughts on it

+1 agree on that one!

Ok so female hunting today then! And hopefully Marleys a male after all and I get a pair. So two females together don't fight or do the nudging thing? I checked on them this morning and Marley is still being pushy but not attacking but nudging and chasing a bit.

I thought you could tell the sex by the front dorsal fin. The black one? I heard/read if it sticks up higher than the rest of the dorsal, it's a male. Wish I could remember where I got this info. *shrug*

I thought you could tell the sex by the front dorsal fin. The black one? I heard/read if it sticks up higher than the rest of the dorsal, it's a male. Wish I could remember where I got this info. *shrug*

Yeah we've been studying both of them and all the little tricks to tell and are still at a loss it's a tricky one

Yeah we've been studying both of them and all the little tricks to tell and are still at a loss it's a tricky one

Indeed it is tricky. I assumed mine was a male all this time but the blue scales in the black dot thingy...looks like a female. Claude may have to be renamed Claudia.

I just rang the store I got them from and they said that the females don't usually fight hmm. It's all settled I've found him a good home in my cousins peaceful 140litre aquarium and she just did a water change yesterday so all ready for a new addition ;) hehe

Oh another question the new ram has lost a lot of its colour due to Marley chasing it. We thought it was a male at the shop but I guess we were wrong. To get to the point his black spot has got so dull it's really easy to see the blue specks under it? Does that happen to all of them male and female when stressed? Or will the males always remain with no blue coming through the black spot even when there pale and stressed ?

Ok I'm about to take him out Marley is still chasing him or her around relentlessly poor thing! Are females usually like that ?

Ok I'm about to take him out Marley is still chasing him or her around relentlessly poor thing! Are females usually like that ?

Generally no, but its possible. Next time try taking marley out and rearranging the tank a little and turn the lights out, then add the new ram, wait a little bit until the new ram can find a good hiding spot then put marley back in. It's worth a shot anyway, maybe the semi new looking tank and with the new ram having a place to hide marley won't be so "this tank is mine"

Generally no, but its possible. Next time try taking marley out and rearranging the tank a little and turn the lights out, then add the new ram, wait a little bit until the new ram can find a good hiding spot then put marley back in. It's worth a shot anyway, maybe the semi new looking tank and with the new ram having a place to hide marley won't be so "this tank is mine"

+1 agreed !

I'm at the store now and looking at them and they all look female with pink bellys and Marley does look like he/she has the same shaped head more sloped as the females but not the pink belly like they do and not as much blue specks in the black dot Marley only appears to have blue flecks when in the light

Back
Top Bottom