First blue ram :)

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I'm at the store now and looking at them and they all look female with pink bellys and Marley does look like he/she has the same shaped head more sloped as the females but not the pink belly like they do and not as much blue specks in the black dot Marley only appears to have blue flecks when in the light

My first thought was, "what freaking fish store is open at 11:40 at night?!" Then I saw where you're from haha.

Just grab the one that has the most female traits then try switching the tank around and hope for the best. Since marley seems to be the aggressor at least you don't have to worry about a new fish bullying a fish you're already attached to

Lol! Well we went to 3 fish stores and looked at them all. We saw a lot of what seemed to be females but decided not to get one today were going to wait until we're more certain on what Marley is I really don't want to get the wrong one again. The thing is they are all so young and it throws me off. Anyways the new guy is now in its new home with no more Marley or bossy fish to harass him.

Lol! Well we went to 3 fish stores and looked at them all. We saw a lot of what seemed to be females but decided not to get one today were going to wait until we're more certain on what Marley is I really don't want to get the wrong one again. The thing is they are all so young and it throws me off. Anyways the new guy is now in its new home with no more Marley or bossy fish to harass him.

Well then you get an A+ for patients! Sorry you didn't find a female though, it's just the luck of the draw, I was at the LFS last night and they only had two blue rams left and both were females.

Haha patience isn't usually my strong Point. Marley definitely thinks its his/her tank funny little fish :)

Hiya, sorry I'm sure this would have probably already been mentioned (its taking ages to read through all the comments on my phone) but have you read this -
The female:
Will have black stripes going though her pelvic fins (this is a great one to remember as when they are very young this coloring already shows if all others fail... the stripes are usually also apparant in a stressed colorless fish)

Although I have watched your videos and with all the information I've read (I'm looking at getting a pair or german blue rams so have been researching sexing them) I still can't work out what he is :( although the video isn't very clear from my blackberry.

Hope you are able to find out what he is and get him a mate

hey I took some pics today of a faded female and one colored up. I thought they may help you.

67720-albums10791-picture48773.jpg
[/IMG]
faded (sry for the bad pic) see the pinkish sheen to her belly.

now colored up
67720-albums10791-picture48772.jpg
[/IMG]

Things to look at. Body shape. these are two different females but their shape is the same. Notice the bottom of the jaw is almost flat. The males are more rounded.

hope it helps!!

hey I took some pics today of a faded female and one colored up. I thought they may help you.

[/IMG]
faded (sry for the bad pic) see the pinkish sheen to her belly.

now colored up
[/IMG]

Things to look at. Body shape. these are two different females but their shape is the same. Notice the bottom of the jaw is almost flat. The males are more rounded.

hope it helps!!

Awesome thanks heaps after looking at these and at Marley I'm still leaning more towards female but still no sign of a pink belly at all yet. Well Marley does seem to have that shaped head .

I'll try and get the links to Marleys pics to work. How do I post the links to the pics in my albums?

Edit: Never mind I did it haha

Ok heading to the fish shop again to have another go at getting Marley a compatible mate. Any last opinions on Marleys sex from the recent pics I posted today would be greatly appreciated ? I have about 15 mins to make a decision so guess away

Got one and now the new one and Marley are lip locking and circling each other defensive style. This ones not running away like the last it's smaller than Marley but standing its ground? What's with this?

Sorry about the crazy background noise but here's what their doing
http://youtu.be/ZBLPfNCdUtM

There still at it and it looks like the little new one is the more dominant one Marleys lost all his colour and now has a sore on his eye :( ahhh I guess this dudes going back in the morning had the opposite trouble this time.

Edit: ok I put the new ram in a container floating in the tank I'm too worried about Marley poor things lips look sore and eye. Did I do the right thing by separating them so quickly ?

Checked my params just then all seem good
65790-albums11220-picture48791.html

Yes you did!! Sry your haveing a hard time o it.

Ok that's good then thanks. So after this I'm thinking both are males? They don't all behave like that towards each other at first do they? I'm completely clueless on their behaviours towards each other and how they respond to the different sexes. Can u shed some light on how's yours behaved at first ? So tomorrow morning straight back to the fish store and ill try again.

Ok that's good then thanks. So after this I'm thinking both are males? They don't all behave like that towards each other at first do they? I'm completely clueless on their behaviours towards each other and how they respond to the different sexes. Can u shed some light on how's yours behaved at first ? So tomorrow morning straight back to the fish store and ill try again.

All mine were just curious of each other at first, never lip locking or anything. I have 2 EBRs and a GBR. I added the GBR cause I thought it was female, then I was unsure because it was chasing a few fish away from a territory and thought "oh great another male", then this morning I have eggs(don't know who they belong to) in the tank so that could be the reason she was defending her/his spot so I don't know either haha. Just keep trying and next time remove marley too for a while then add both at the same time

Yeah at first there is a lot of chasing/darting around. It take a few days for them to work it out. But that vid was all out ram war! Shouldn't be like that.

So we went and swapped the new guy for a female with a nice pink belly and blue specks. The verdict .... We think we have a match this time! :D eeeppp so excited which must mean our Marley is a Male after all. There was no nudging no lip locking or chasing around aggressively at all. Marley is just curious and seems very interested in her, following her around and swimming together. Third time lucky hopefully! Oh and her name is Dora now thanks to my 3 year old son.

This is the vid I took of them getting acquainted
http://youtu.be/74iZJhWa3U8

Back
Top Bottom