First ever african cichlid tank!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Crouched coral is good if you want your ph to get raised to around 8.2 if not use play sand I got it in one of my tanks it works a treat.

I'd rather not mess with the ph. Lol id probably do something wrong :p

So right now there is no substrate in the tank. I had a betta in there but I moved him to my 10 gallon by himself. Now it's empty. When I put the sand in, should I take the water out first or is it possible to put the sand in with water already in the tank? I know this is kinda a dumb question :p lol I just don't wanna have to take all the water put and full it back up again :p

If you don't wunna get your sand in a bucket and fully submerge the bucket with the sand still in it then pour the sand out... I've done that with most my tanks (sometime fish fish in it lol)and they've all been fine

I have sand in two of my tanks. Have the same filter some sand got in with the initisl conversion but still wotk great

I use play sand. I used quikcrete. It has been awesome with no problrms. Pool filter sand was no better than the play sand.

I added my sand and did a 75 percent water change then added sand. Make sure u rinse the sand

I rinsed mine in a bucket filled half way thn ran water in it until it was clear .. didnt take long then i dumped it in my tank.. i have done it with the tank full and with it empty didnt really notice a difference.. i did water changes both..

So I should rinse it in a bucket till the water in the bucket is clear and then just dump it in the tank?

Yea i have a nozzle on mine that sprayed pretty hard so i just angled it in the bucket and dumped the water only out like 3 times poured sand in my tank then repeated til all sand was in my tank

Wow it's gonna be hard if I do this outside bringing it up the stairs, into the house and onto the main level, up the stairs to the top level, and up more stairs to my room (my rooms in the finished attic) and then dump it into the tank :O I'm going to have to do it the bathroom... Hope my m doesn't mind... lol

It should be fine some people just cut holes in the corners of the bag and put the hose in or clean it in their bathroom i just do it outside n let my husband carry it n and dump it

What fish do you have in there???

Look and u can see lol pretty much got all of them in that shot. There all baby's nd juveniles. Once they get bigger they will be goin into a 220 probably !

So I decided to breed bettas instead of cichlids... It was a hard decision... But I think I'd rather do bettas :) thanks for all your help guys! I'm still going to use pool filter sand in my 55 gallon and get rocks from a landscaping store. Even though I'm not doing cichlids anymore, you guys still helped me a lot!

Ok so pool filter sand is the way to go. Tried fine live marine sand in new tank and it was cloudy over a week. Took it all out and emptied it and got pool sand for 11 bucks vs 40 for live Caribbean sand and put it in and addsed water with a glass plate on sand to not stir it up and here the tank 2 hrs later!

Ok so pool filter sand is the way to go. Tried fine live marine sand in new tank and it was cloudy over a week. Took it all out and emptied it and got pool sand for 11 bucks vs 40 for live Caribbean sand and put it in and addsed water with a glass plate on sand to not stir it up and here the tank 2 hrs later!

Forgot pic!

Attachments

• image-2305127893.jpg
    image-2305127893.jpg
    118.7 KB · Views: 82
Back
Top Bottom