First frags!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
i was trying to find a good pic of the duncan I had in the 120. I couldn't so here is something just for the heck of it.

1012672medium.jpg

Yea sorry, I got home after the lights went out yesterday. Didn't get a chance to take any pictures. I'll get some up as soon as I can. Ziggy you have any interest in an RBTA for your tank? My moms wont stop splitting. We are up to 5 and i think two of them are getting ready to split.

Yea sorry, I got home after the lights went out yesterday. Didn't get a chance to take any pictures. I'll get some up as soon as I can. Ziggy you have any interest in an RBTA for your tank? My moms wont stop splitting. We are up to 5 and i think two of them are getting ready to split.

I'm not sure I want to go there with the nano. The last RBTA I had got HUGE and this tank has precious little room for a large anemone.

Haha. Don't blame you, she keeps trying to push one off on me with my 12 :shock: not gonna happen.

Also, I have a problem. i have a severe case of imayhavetoomanyfragsformytankitis. I'm told buying more tomorrow might help :D going to look at a baby crocea clam and various SPS and zoa frags.

Hmmm. Tanks should go like this:
2.5G Pico frag grow tank on bedside table.
10G Nano frag continue grow on coffe table.
75G Reef in the hall for the frags to keep growing.
180G Reef built into the wall for the frags when they look nice and big and ready. :D

Believe me. If I had the money, I would just have a huge raceway full of frags for grow out. The coral is what keeps me in the hobby, collecting SPS is just too fun.

Some more new stuff!
A local reefer was taking down her tank, had some great prices i couldn't pass up. Like this baby little crocea clam, attached to this GIANT rock. Neither of us realized how big the rock was until she pulled it out. Im going to let him acclimate for a few days then probably pull it out and try and break his top piece off; Unless anyone else has a good trick to getting these guys off?
img_1128251_0_5c1a5ce5b5f450ec10915b962d83ba14.jpg

img_1128251_1_42a2cbc2b0a1a5adc4f0131eee002ab0.jpg

orange/blue rhodactis, which still needs to get its blue in and Dragon Eye? Favia
img_1128251_2_7c5f5f4f6ee1232f991975a7197860ea.jpg

Baby blue rhodactis
img_1128251_3_8d9380033393dcf91ce8786b6ecd3784.jpg

New Pink/Blue Multi Frag
img_1128251_4_94ced1d588edbc6c2b3a74196331186a.jpg

Duncans
img_1128251_5_d3d5fd18ee2d3a359b6f2ff302ebe510.jpg

I'll have to take a picture tonight when the lights go off to show you guys the structure of the duncan frags. I had to push them under that rock to shade them a little, they weren't appreciating going from bottom of a T5 tank to a MH Nano.

Enjoy!

I'll have to check when i get back to all my saltwater books over the weekend but if i remember right many clams will actually fuse themselves to the rock. I think trying to take him off would seriously risk damaging the clam. You would probably be better off trying to break the rock into a smaller piece.

Yea, I have read some things saying you can cut their e-something threads that hold them down and they will be alright, I really just don't want to do that. Way way way too scary.

I have a Crocea too which I thought about moving, however it is also attached. I remember reading about squirting them with cold tank water from the refrigerator down by their foot and they should release.. I think it was cold, or what it hot??? Look into it

I think that acro has some nice potential. Keep us posted.

Yeah don't try and pry it off. You'll tear the byssal threads that attach it to the rock and you could damage the foot.
Nice frags. :D That Acro definately has some potential. :D

Yea, the byssal threads. you cut them really close to the rock, sounds painful and really scary. How long did it take yours to fully open up ryshark? Mine is opening, but im not sure if its all the way or not.

Yea, the byssal threads. you cut them really close to the rock, sounds painful and really scary. How long did it take yours to fully open up ryshark? Mine is opening, but im not sure if its all the way or not.

Mine had its mantle fully out within a couple days. I will try and take a picture of it later.

Do not cut the byssal thread if you can avoid it. If the byssal gland gets damaged it will probably die.

If the clam is extending it's mantle it should be OK. The mantle should cover the clam shell edges.

If it's gaping then it needs more light. The photo looks fine. It may extend a bit more once it's fully acclimated. Of course it will quickly retract if touched (by you or a fish).

What lights do you have? Did I miss that? Love the clam. Really want one. Want to try with LEDs but I am afraid of killing it. I know people have them with LEDs but....

Back
Top Bottom