First live plants ever!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Austin.b said:
That sucks, sorry:/

Haha yeah, that's why I refuse to buy them lol you can always make your own with osmocote+ :)

Yeah. I just figured since I had a gift card if go ahead and buy them. They'll show up eventually. LOL!

I have a twig of hornwort. Will it grow faster if I let it float? It's planted in the sand right now and hasn't really grown since I bought it a few weeks ago.

Bearchumjs said:
I have a twig of hornwort. Will it grow faster if I let it float? It's planted in the sand right now and hasn't really grown since I bought it a few weeks ago.

What do you mean a twig? Hornwort grows the fastest out of any plant i have ever seen. It is a weed no doubt, but its cool ;) i plant mine!

Nu-Nu the eel said:
What do you mean a twig? Hornwort grows the fastest out of any plant i have ever seen. It is a weed no doubt, but its cool ;) i plant mine!

That's my "twig" next to ludwigia palustrus.

I should have said more in my last post, sorry. Hornwort will usually melt once it is put into a new tank with different conditions than the last tank it was in. Has it shed its needles yet?

Austin.b said:
I should have said more in my last post, sorry. Hornwort will usually melt once it is put into a new tank with different conditions than the last tank it was in. Has it shed its needles yet?

No it hasn't shed needles but they've turned reddish tinted.

I had no idea what you meant by has it melted. Lol!

Coursair said:
Have you added any ferts yet? How long are your lights on ? Sometimes it takes plants a bit to adjust to your tank conditions.

I haven't added ferts. I'd like to add seachem excel (I think is what it's called?).

I bought some API root tabs the other day and have completely misplaced them. I have no idea what I did with them and it's really bugging me.

My lights are on 10-12 hrs a day. Probably too long. I had algae growing on my driftwood.

I'd reduce lighting to 8 hours and get some Flourish in there besides the Flourish Excel. Or get some dry ferts...I'm lazy and i've only got small tanks so I can get away with liquid ferts. Hope you find your root tabs.

Coursair said:
I'd reduce lighting to 8 hours and get some Flourish in there besides the Flourish Excel. Or get some dry ferts...I'm lazy and i've only got small tanks so I can get away with liquid ferts. Hope you find your root tabs.

I've not found them yet! It's a mystery. I found the receipt for them so I know I actually bought them. I even cleaned my kids' rooms because I thought maybe they found their way back there. Nope. I'm going to have to order some flourish. What the difference between flourish and flourish excel?

Coursair said:
Flourish (comprehensive) is a liquid Fertilizer
Flourish Excel is a source of Carbon and can be used with or without CO2.

Oh! I thought excel was a fert. Thank you for clarifying!

The only liquid fert petco had was nutrfin or something. It had copper as an ingredient. I'm not getting that one. I did buy ANOTHER pack of root tabs though. I put some in my tanks so I hope to see some good growth soon!

The only liquid fert petco had was nutrfin or something. It had copper as an ingredient. I'm not getting that one. I did buy ANOTHER pack of root tabs though. I put some in my tanks so I hope to see some good growth soon!

Most Ferts contain trace elements of Copper, they should be completely safe. Tiny amounts won't hurt Shrimp. There is a little Copper in my plant gel caps, but my Shrimp are fine. You can get Flourish and Flourish Excel on Amazon if needed.

Back
Top Bottom