First live plants ever!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I have a 32W t-8 bulb. Is that enough for plants? My plants seem to be doing well. I'd like to get a broad leafed plant. Maybe a sword of some kind. My Anubias is getting algae. What's the best way to remove it? I don't want to put snails in yet as the aquarium is probably still cycling even though I seeded the new filter and I've been getting readings of 0 ammo and 0 nitrites. My nitrates were 10-20ppm today! That's good. They are usually 40-80ppm. Right now I have micro sword, water wisteria and one Anubias in my 55 gal.

I added some plants and need help identifying them. Here's some pics.

View attachment 86277

Is this a sword?

View attachment 86278

Kinda hard to see the little thing. It was a single stem floating in the plant tank and I asked the guy if I could have it for free. Is it hornwort or something? I hope so and I hope it grows! It didn't have roots.

Nice clear tank you got there :)

Live plants give out a lot of good stuff for the fish :)

Well done , keep it up!

I am no expert at plants so that is all i am going to say!

Thanks! I got into plants because I think they are pretty and I know they will help reduce the nitrates in my water. I'm sure I'll need to get some root tabs and maybe some flourish fertilizers.

Atxpunx said:
Cool! Do you have a setup idea already?

Yeah. I watched a you tube video. I pretty much have all the parts I need except yeast and maybe a check valve. I have to clean up some tubing and drill some holes and I'll be gtg.

I'm just wondering is my air stone will defeat the purpose of the co2?

From what I understand, with addition of an air stone the increase of surface agitation will expel carbon dioxide quicker when co2 injection is present. . Also, I've learned with DIY co2, the addition of baking soda to your yeast/sugar bottle will make the co2 more steady and last longer.

Bearchumjs said:
Yeah. I watched a you tube video. I pretty much have all the parts I need except yeast and maybe a check valve. I have to clean up some tubing and drill some holes and I'll be gtg.

I'm just wondering is my air stone will defeat the purpose of the co2?

Run an air stone at night :)

Bearchumjs said:
What about during the day?

Nope. Plug it into a timer. Otherwise it will outgas your CO2. At night the plants can't use it. That's why pressurized CO2 is turned off at night. And people often run air stones at night.
DIY can't usually be turned off so run an air stone but only at night.

This is all AFAIK. I'm no expert on CO2

Coursair said:
Nope. Plug it into a timer. Otherwise it will outgas your CO2. At night the plants can't use it. That's why pressurized CO2 is turned off at night. And people often run air stones at night.
DIY can't usually be turned off so run an air stone but only at night.

This is all AFAIK. I'm no expert on CO2

Ok. Thank you!

From what I know, running an air stone at night will prevent a potentially dangerous pH drop, but from another point wild animals experience a far greater pH drop. So all in all just to be safe run an air stone at night:)

I'm so mad at myself!! I bought some API root tabs the other day and I have no idea where I put them! Grrrrrrr!!! :(

Daughter "so buy new ones"
Me "they were $8! I'd rather buy fish than root tabs again."

Bearchumjs said:
I'm so mad at myself!! I bought some API root tabs the other day and I have no idea where I put them! Grrrrrrr!!! :(

Daughter "so buy new ones"
Me "they were $8! I'd rather buy fish than root tabs again."

That sucks, sorry:/

Haha yeah, that's why I refuse to buy them lol you can always make your own with osmocote+ :)

Back
Top Bottom