First live plants ever!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Bearchumjs said:
I didn't even think about the cut off part rooting into a new plant!

Yeah please make them new plants! Lemon bacopa is kinda hard to find on the this side of the country. Bacopa looks best when they are a bunch together. Also, it's called lemon bacopa because of the lemon scent it has when you crush a leaf between your fingers. Good luck!

Atxpunx said:
Yeah please make them new plants! Lemon bacopa is kinda hard to find on the this side of the country. Bacopa looks best when they are a bunch together. Also, it's called lemon bacopa because of the lemon scent it has when you crush a leaf between your fingers. Good luck!

I've noticed the lemony smell before! I'll start trimming the plants later this week!

I trimmed the plants today. Now I have 4 little bunches instead of one over grown bunch. I hope they all grow fast! A few of the longer branches had a good 4-5 inches with no leaves so I trimmed the roots off. I know the roots will come back because there were no roots when I got them from the store. Hopefully the roots will grow fast. It seems like during the last week is when the roots grew and the plant growth took off, so hopefully in a week or so they will get to growing really well!

When they get tall the bottom of the stalk gets shaded out and drops leaves. Keep it trimmed and it will stay nice. I love my Bacopa. I have root caps for my Crypts, but my stems like them too :)

Coursair said:
When they get tall the bottom of the stalk gets shaded out and drops leaves. Keep it trimmed and it will stay nice. I love my Bacopa. I have root caps for my Crypts, but my stems like them too :)

I've got enough nitrates I think I could fill me tank with the Bacopa and it would do fine! Lol!

My lemon Bacopa is starting to grow from where I trimmed them all 6 days ago. I'm so happy to see I didn't kill them all!

Austin.b said:
Haha good!!! Ay pictures?:)

Well... It's hard to see the new growth but the little leaf sticking up behind the snail is new. My tank looks gross right now. Diatoms. Ew. Every other day I feel like I need to clean it. Hopefully the new snail will help.

Bearchumjs said:
Well... It's hard to see the new growth but the little leaf sticking up behind the snail is new. My tank looks gross right now. Diatoms. Ew. Every other day I feel like I need to clean it. Hopefully the new snail will help.

Awesome!:) good looking snail too;) lol how long do you leave your lights on a day?

Well, the fluval light is on 24/7 cause the on/off switch is broken. That's why I arranged the driftwood so that it makes a cave. That way king Neptune the betta fish can hide and be out of the light. I have a table lamp next to the tank that is on for 8-12 hours every day. It has a 60W Clear reveal light made by GE. And now I'm blind from looking at the light bulb just then. My tank water looks like tea right now from the DW and the diatoms are so yucky. It's all I can do not to clean the whole tank right now. The only thing really stopping me is that I have some super tiny MTS and if I gravel vac and clean the tank I'm sure to vaccum them out. I bought some little carbon cartridges for a different kind of filter. They didn't have the fluval carbon cartridges. So I set one on top of the filter and one where the water goes in and hopefully it will work.

Put both your lights on a timer. Start out at 6 hours a day. Work up to 8 hours a day, if your algae is behaving. Diatoms are normal in a new tank. Water Changes. If you suck up some baby MTS, they will make more. Do not leave a light on 24/7. Bad for your fish, bad for your plants, good for Algae.

Coursair said:
Put both your lights on a timer. Start out at 6 hours a day. Work up to 8 hours a day, if your algae is behaving. Diatoms are normal in a new tank. Water Changes. If you suck up some baby MTS, they will make more. Do not leave a light on 24/7. Bad for your fish, bad for your plants, good for Algae.

I can't turn the fluval light off without turning off the whole filter unit because the light switch is broken. The light shares the same power source as the filter. Otherwise I'd put it on a timer.

If I start using RO water instead of my high nitrate tap water would I have to start fertilizing my Bacopa and Anubias?

Bearchumjs said:
If I start using RO water instead of my high nitrate tap water would I have to start fertilizing my Bacopa and Anubias?

I use part tap and part Distilled. If you go full R/O it will be too pure and you will need to remineralize it. AFAIK.

It's always nice to offer at least a basic liquid Fert. No matter what kind of water you use.

I bought some water wisteria and micro sword for my new 55 gallon. What's another good plant to put in it? I also have an Anubias in it. I'd like something else. What are some other good easy growers. What is the opinion on dwarf water lettuce?

Back
Top Bottom