First planted: My 75g Journey

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I made a mistake I think a lot of people have made as I read now and put a couple CAE in the tank.
Those guys grow like an inch a week I think. Tend to be a little aggressive over territory mostly with each other though.
They gotta go! Hopefully I can offload some of my stock to reduce my bioload within the next week or so.
Time for PWC. Catch Ya later.

Gone Fishing,
Dale

Yeah CAE are killers. Rehome them fast.

Caleb

Sent via TARDIS

Digital scale supposed to be here on March 25th for my PPS Pro ferts! The suspense..

Caleb

Sent via TARDIS

So apparently my co2 tank is 2 years expired ??? trying to find a new bottle because my one has to be certified again...

Caleb

Sent via TARDIS

So apparently my co2 tank is 2 years expired ??? trying to find a new bottle because my one has to be certified again...

Caleb

Sent via TARDIS

I was told my tank was expired the last time I was getting it ( 24 oz Valken CO2 paintball) filled. Purchased through Amazon in April 2014, filled at Dicks Sporting Goods in April, August, and December of the same year without incident. Brought it in last month and was told it was expired but it was filled after I asked them to show me what indicated expiration on the stamped label. From what I understand, expiration is 3-5 years after the date stamped.

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

Yeah mine is a date from 2013 so he said he wouldn't fill it. I've ordered 2 24oz tanks from Amazon.

Caleb

Sent via TARDIS

Just an update it has been too long :mad:

My MarineLand Penguin 350B started screwin up with the motor and impeller so I've ditched it(saved the biomedical) and replaced with a lovely, quiet, Fluval Aquaclear 110. Now I see why everyone loves them :p

All I have left on plants is some dwarf Hairgrass and that's it no more plants.

Thinking about trading the black skirts and maybe replacing with Australian rainbows. I just love my turquoise and the black skirts were decided upon by someone who I'm no longer talking to...

Refilled and got an extra co2 tank. So running 1 of 2 brand new 24oz bottles. My original 20oz bottle was actually expired and don't know where to get it relicensed yet.

Have a wonderful day everyone.

Caleb

Sent via TARDIS

ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1427568828.195504.jpg
Updated tank shot. Trying sideways so I can get a more zoomed in view to this big tank.

Caleb

Sent via TARDIS

ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1427568916.649017.jpg

These Repens have been a constant battle. Dojo loach loves to dig them up and I really want them to be successful. Torn between what to get rid of and just hoping their roots will establish so he can't mess with them.

Caleb

Sent via TARDIS

Tough choice between loaches and plants. I find that even the snails can uproot star repens. MTS, not mystery. I'm contemplating a smaller loach (kuhli) in my tank and the uprooting issue is a concern.
Congrats on the new filter. The lip on the Fluval filters will allow surface disruption in most cases. That may lead to CO2 off gassing. Below is a link to a simple mod that will provide a "ramp" for the exiting water. Much less splash and it allows you to control the vertical direction to a degree. See post #3 in the following thread:
http://www.aquariumadvice.com/forums/showthread.php?t=236365

Here is something you don't see everyday.... Cleaning my canister when I see this....

ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1427570338.166185.jpg

It's a super grown red worm that's been living in my filter pad. I feed red worms to my ropefish and no idea how this bugger survived in here...

Caleb

Sent via TARDIS

He is the chosen one!!!! He who eats him shall reign supreme!!

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Well guys here's an awesome update! Started my dry ferts schedule and have already seen a noticeable difference in the color of my plants.
ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1427844728.705868.jpg
ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1427844747.470019.jpg
Got this DHG for like $5. Very impressed with the amount I got. Since the war with dojo is not over I left the rubber coated metal grating holding the roots in on the bottom so he can't dig them up. Rescaped my rocks around it and some Repens around that and I think I'm liking how it's turned out. Dojo has made multiple attempts to try and dig it up already ?.

Here's my other plants. They have exploded! So happy :)
ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1427844906.564380.jpg
ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1427844922.915029.jpg
ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1427844949.734711.jpg

Caleb

Sent via TARDIS

Looks nice! Guess this will be my next step after I get the pressurized co2 going.

Looks nice! Guess this will be my next step after I get the pressurized co2 going.

Thanks Mike! Yours is coming a lot great ? I'll admit mine is sorta random and especially the substrate could use some help but being I can't just change out 80 pounds of substrate I'm satisfied. Doesn't have to be perfect.

Caleb

Sent via TARDIS

Looking good, Caleb. I would measure nitrate and phosphate weekly so you can see if the standard dosing is working properly for your setup.
That HOB is pummeling your floating plants. A simple mod can fix that. Involves cutting a strip of plastic (the one that comes with all glass versa top style canopies) and mounting it to the lip of the HOB filter. I can post a link to a thread with details if you wish.

Back
Top Bottom