First tank! 28 Gallon tank

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

JJsChaos

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Good day,

As the title says, I'm a first time reefer. I bought my tank 12 days ago and lots has changed since then. The first thing I realized, mostly after reading in this forum, is surround yourself with good people that want to see saltwater and reef tanks be successful. The person I dealt with in the store misinformed me and now I feel like I've rushed a bit and want to slow things down and get recommendations from the community.

Here are the specs and equipment that came with my tank:

28g Aqua Euro tank
Filter and Media
Caribbean Sea Bio active sand
Fluval Sea Salt 50lbs
Fluval Sea Hydrometer
Marineland 100 Watt Heater
Marina Thermometer
Hydor Circulation Pump

The first day I added 15lbs of live rock, sand and water. Here is the results of my last test:

pH - 8.0
Salinity - 1.023
Ammonia - 0
Nitrite - 0
Nitrate - 0

I received a start up kit that has me adding chemicals to the tank with water changes.

The person I was talking to said adding a fish on day 4 of the tank was just fine. :whistle: Here is a list of all fish and inverts in the tank:

4 blue-legged Hermit crabs
3 red-legged Hermit crabs
2 Trochus snails
1 Emerald crab
1 Ocellaris Clown fish

This is what I use for my biological filtration and here is my tank as of yesterday

Attachments

• Iphone pics 018.jpg
    Iphone pics 018.jpg
    249.3 KB · Views: 107
  • Iphone pics 019.jpg
    Iphone pics 019.jpg
    255.6 KB · Views: 106
  • Iphone pics 020.jpg
    Iphone pics 020.jpg
    251.3 KB · Views: 126
  • Iphone pics 015.jpg
    Iphone pics 015.jpg
    207.4 KB · Views: 126
You have to let the tank cycle first and go through the nitrogen cycle. Which can take a few weeks. Did you use live sand? Where was the water from? A main tank or some the LFS mixed up?

You will learn that reef keeping is a learning process. But there is always solutions.

I like the tank but yes you were misinformed.

I did use live sand. I used tap water with a water conditioner that was recommended by the store.

That's good,
Some things to follow by..

1. Do not use tap water. Use RO/DI water.
2. Perform your water changes.
3. Stay on top of nitrates, nitrites, phosphates, those things.
4. Use a good reef salt.
5. Change your media monthly, weekly.

Awesome, thank you Frankie.

I've noticed these little translucent looking bugs on my live rock. From what I've been able to research it seems they are a Amphipod. Is this correct? Are they harmful to my tank?

You're welcome.

And anyway you can send a picture? Could be amphipods or copopods, not harmful.

This sounds dumb, but if you ever need help, come here first before you LFS. They may be good to help but also think they just want to make sells. No disrespect to the your LFS salesman, but there are way more educated people on here!

That is not dumb at all.

I'm tracking everything I put in the tank, water changes, etc. Does anyone have a good maintenance schedule besides the obvious water changes.

I did one 2 days ago and everything is great. I'm doing a water change tomorrow.

Can anyone tell me what this is? I went to the store and asked for a hermit crab and this came out of the bag.

Attachments

• Iphone pics 008.jpg
    Iphone pics 008.jpg
    249.7 KB · Views: 102
Back
Top Bottom