First Tank: 29 Gallon Planted Community

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Came home today to 3 dead Cardinals :(. I tested water to see if that was the problem
ph 7.4 (yay back to normal and stable it seems)
ammonia is at .25 pmm (probably from dead fish?)
Nitrite 0 ppm
Nitrate 10 pm
KH 4 or 71.6 ppm
GH 5 or 89.5 ppm

I am super bummed that I lost so many at once...any ideas what it might be? I am guessing maybe the drop in pH yesterday? :(

No dead harlequins and the guppy is fine.

Weird Thing on My Water Sprite

I saw this on my Water Sprite today. Is this anything I need to be concerned about? It's hard to see but it has little translucent fibers all over it.

Attachments

• 20150712_181240.jpg
    20150712_181240.jpg
    266.5 KB · Views: 59
  • 20150712_181248.jpg
    20150712_181248.jpg
    261.5 KB · Views: 66
Looks like an air root. Watch it for a few days, and where it connects to the plant a new plant should start forming.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Aquarium Advice mobile app

I might just do that. I may wait a bit per your suggestion to see what it looks like after awhile. Thanks for the help. I appreciate it!

Sent from my SPH-L710 using Aquarium Advice mobile app

It's roots. My water sprite does it all the time. When the time comes you can easily pull them off and replant.

The water sprite is like autobot from transformers lol all those roots break off into tiny plants.

Caleb

Same with water wisteria(is this the same as water sprite?)

Good to know! I am happy it's growing as I'm hoping to get a nice background cover to my tank eventually! Feeling a bit discouraged with my cardinal deaths, so it's nice to feel accomplished at one aspect of tank upkeep.

I got good news today! My Finnex 24/7 that was on back order will be shipped and I should get it Friday!

Sent from my SPH-L710 using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Finnex 24/7 is up and running. I will post pics later. Now that I have light running most of the day I have a question about CO2.

I have been turning CO2 off at night and turning it on in the morning. Would that system still work?

Last edited:
I have my co2 on a timer to turn on an hour before the lights turn on, and turn off an hour before the lights turn off. Before when I just had one timer I had the lights and co2 turn on and off at the same time.

So still not a good idea to run CO2 constantly? I have a fluval co2 setup, are there timers you would recommend for that?

Well, it's been awhile since I posted an update on my tank. I had an issue keeping fish alive and that took up a lot of my time. I am left with 5 harlequins, 1 cardinal (yes I will add more cardinals when I can), 3 guppies and two mystery snails.

I received my Finnex 24/7 and it has made a HUGE difference with my plants. My ludwigia has shot up and my reinekeii is also looking pretty good. The right side of my tank has shot up while the left remains pretty sparse.

Here are some pics:

Attachments

• 20150730_154836.jpg
    20150730_154836.jpg
    256.4 KB · Views: 79
  • 20150730_154842.jpg
    20150730_154842.jpg
    267.8 KB · Views: 73
  • 20150730_154847.jpg
    20150730_154847.jpg
    261.6 KB · Views: 76
I have a question about cleaning my tank. Is it necessary to remove my rocks and wood each time or can I leave the decor as is?

Also, I have some brushes to clean the intake tube of my Aquaclear filter but the connecting tube from the intake tube to the filter it's a "c" shape is hard to clean. I have been swishing it in the water as the brushes do not go inside it. Any recommendations for cleaning this?

Back
Top Bottom