First Tank: 29 Gallon Planted Community

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I have a question about cleaning my tank. Is it necessary to remove my rocks and wood each time or can I leave the decor as is?

Also, I have some brushes to clean the intake tube of my Aquaclear filter but the connecting tube from the intake tube to the filter it's a "c" shape is hard to clean. I have been swishing it in the water as the brushes do not go inside it. Any recommendations for cleaning this?

There is those long bendable brushes that fit in tubes. This is what I used to use(I lost it) to clean the "C".

I usually move decor about once a month to get underneath it.

Caleb

Finnex 24/7 is up and running. I will post pics later. Now that I have light running most of the day I have a question about CO2.

I have been turning CO2 off at night and turning it on in the morning. Would that system still work?

How long are you running the light?
Here is an old post from TPT discussing the use of an inline solenoid valve with the Fluval CO2 systems: http://www.plantedtank.net/forums/showthread.php?t=121237
The 88g disposable cartridges may not lost very long with a tank that size. I would consider using an inexpensive AquaTek or Milwaukee regulator with a paintball tank.
The air stone running continuously IMO defeats the addition of CO2 (or severely reduces it). You may want to run that at night or not at all.

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

How long are you running the light?
Here is an old post from TPT discussing the use of an inline solenoid valve with the Fluval CO2 systems: Solenoid Solution for Fluval CO2 Kit
The 88g disposable cartridges may not lost very long with a tank that size. I would consider using an inexpensive AquaTek or Milwaukee regulator with a paintball tank.
The air stone running continuously IMO defeats the addition of CO2 (or severely reduces it). You may want to run that at night or not at all.

The light is on the 24/7 automatic setting. I believe light is only completely off for about 3-4 hours at night. I may not keep it this way but so far my plants have been really responding to it.

I will look into a regulator. I do plan to upgrade to a paintball system eventually. I'll move the Fluval over to my 5 gallon but that change won't be for a bit yet.

I'll stop the airstone during the day tomorrow and see how things go! Thanks for the tip.

The light is on the 24/7 automatic setting. I believe light is only completely off for about 3-4 hours at night. I may not keep it this way but so far my plants have been really responding to it.

I will look into a regulator. I do plan to upgrade to a paintball system eventually. I'll move the Fluval over to my 5 gallon but that change won't be for a bit yet.

I'll stop the airstone during the day tomorrow and see how things go! Thanks for the tip.

I was very curious(and still am) about the co2 on and off times. I've ran 24/7 mode for roughly 3-4 weeks now. Excellent plant growth but lots of algae scrubbing from the glass.

It's all about determining what time "max" lighting comes on and goes off. Then time your co2 to 30 mins before lights on and 30 mins before lights off.

Caleb

There is those long bendable brushes that fit in tubes. This is what I used to use(I lost it) to clean the "C".

I usually move decor about once a month to get underneath it.

Caleb

Once a month I can do. I could do it every week if I really needed to but it's nicer to not have to.

I was very curious(and still am) about the co2 on and off times. I've ran 24/7 mode for roughly 3-4 weeks now. Excellent plant growth but lots of algae scrubbing from the glass.

It's all about determining what time "max" lighting comes on and goes off. Then time your co2 to 30 mins before lights on and 30 mins before lights off.

Caleb

I have been turning it on around 10 am and off around 8 pm but your recommendation makes sense. Once I have a timer going I will pursue the max lighting idea.

Snail Explosion

Well, I've noticed a snail explosion in my tank as of today. I don't think I have been overfeeding as I follow the two minute rule. One to three pellets ends up falling to the bottom though...

I haven't noticed any algae problems in the tank since setting up my finnex 24/7...could the snails be eating algae?

An assassin snail should knock their numbers down. If you get one from your lfs ask them if they will take him back when all the pond snails are gone. That or you might want to start breeding some pond snails for that time so you don't have to return him.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Your mysterys should be safe, but I don't think the MTS will be.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Hmm. I have a 10 gallon for a QT. Maybe I could catch my MTSs and house them there while the assassin does it's job.

Assassin Snails are great. I'd get 3-5 snails for this tank. I have 5 in my 30 gallon, and in two months after purchasing them, I have noticed hardly any pond snails.

If I get 3-5, will they breed and leave me with same problem?

Also, would a chain LFS have assassins?

I've been turning off my airstone during the day as Fresh2o suggested and running co2 during highest light as Caleb recommended. Yesterday I noticed some plants were making bubbles!

If I get 3-5, will they breed and leave me with same problem?

Also, would a chain LFS have assassins?

I've been turning off my airstone during the day as Fresh2o suggested and running co2 during highest light as Caleb recommended. Yesterday I noticed some plants were making bubbles!

They may breed, but it wouldn't be anything explosive. Mine haven't bred yet. I'd go with the Assassins over any snail-eating loach since the Assassins have a small bioload. If you can't find any Assassins in a LFS, Peabody's Paradise may have some. That's where I got mine.

Back
Top Bottom