First thread in a while. Lighting upgrade

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I understand that to make your lighting more effective CO2 is gonna be an issue. I'm not trying to melt my vals. Is there and affordable method to co2 injection? My budget is 150. I really am
Tight on cash this time of the year. I know rivercats talks about the glut method.

I understand that to make your lighting more effective CO2 is gonna be an issue. I'm not trying to melt my vals. Is there and affordable method to co2 injection? My budget is 150. I really am
Tight on cash this time of the year. I know rivercats talks about the glut method.

Oh there's plenty of good co2 setups for under 150.

For co2

You can go with any commercial regulator. Milwaukee and Aqua-Tek (sp?) make a good one.

Buy the biggest cylinder you can. A 10 pound is good size.

You can opt for an inline diffuser, or run through a power head.

Airline tubing is necessary. I don't find Co2 tubing to be required.

Any check valve will work. And you'll need a drop checker with 4dkh solution. The 4dkh solution gets mixed with a Bromthymol blue. You can get eBay drop checkers for 10$ shipped with 4dkh and a Ph reagent.

So am I gonna be spending about 280 for both? I ask because this is a reward for my younger brother if he gets his grades up.

Was planning on a T5HO. I have heard that there is such thing as too much light. I know the watt per gallon rule is debatable. But I know my brother wants some plants with higher light requirements.

Also just for kicks and giggles I was thinking of adding some moss. I think it looks dramatic and appealing. Any experience with moss on driftwood?

Can't see it for the most part but there is driftwood hiding in the moss..

ForumRunner_20131030_003506.jpg

That's a great looking setup. Yeah my brother wants to have something along the lines of that. So a co2 regulator and a high light.

Seems simple enough. My budget is 280. How's that for an estimate?

It's not really a high light high demand setup at all.... I dose glut&dose pps-pro method...

Yeah I really don't want to be spending that kind of money. Lol Christmas is coming up haha

That tank is a 6g fluval edge with led bulbs that replace the halogens which come with the tank...cardinal tetra,cherry shrimp&crystal red shrimp occupy the tank...plants are all low light-java moss,pelia moss&crypts...

Very nice looking growth. I totally forgot about that pps pro. I'm more open to that as a posed to say a high tech set up.

You just tied down your moss?

The dw I bought had some holes in them,then placed a small amount of moss within the holes...you can use rubber bands but I use fishing line if I need to for its transparency...this tank has been up&running for over 3yrs now,so a couple dozen necessary trimmings have been needed along the line...

Last edited:
The dw I bought had some holed in them,then placed a small amount of moss within then..you can use rubber bands but I use fishing line if I need to for its transparency...thus tank has been up&running for over 3yrs now,so a couple dozen necessary trimmings have been needed along the line...

Really really great stuff. Definitely gonna be striving for a look like that.

Back
Top Bottom