First time doing an aquascape

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Kaneu

Aquarium Advice Freak
So after alot of research, planning and thinking of what to get I finally decided on a plant back from live aquaria. The plants I got when I opened the package were in good condition and packaged well. It took me 5 hours to clean and prepare the plants for my tank.

I have placed the plants in the tank right before I took the picture and that is why it is really cloudy. I had to kick up some substrate. After it settles I will take another picture.

There are no fish in this tank as I don't think the bio filter is strong enough yet.
I have bought all kinds of seacham fertilizers for this tank. I don't have a CO2 injector yet so I will be dosing with flourish Excel for a few paychecks.

Tell me what you guys think? Is this too much foliage? Or does it look good for now?IMG_20170428_012729523.jpg

Looks good, when it clears up and your plants grow in it will be really nice.

My lights come on in an hour and a half. I'll take another picture then. The water has cleared up nicely.

This is my tank after the water has cleared up some. The plants seem to be doing ok. One 1 plant uprooted. I have getting alot of floating leaves. Hope that is normal.
Also...
The second picture is of narrow chain sword. What is happening when the leaves do this? I know it is a deficiency of some kind. But what kind? Does anyone know?
I pruned a bunch of dead or dieing leaves before planting but should I prune this leaf as well? Or just let it be for now?
Last question for now, should I start doseing with fertilizers regularly now? Or wait awhile? I already put a dose of macro's in the tank last night as well as Excel. Does anyone have a good doseing chart to go to? The one on seacham's website is a bit confusing.
Thanks in advance.

1493419571425.jpg1493419601098.jpg

I think it looks awesome as well. You worked hard and it shows. Great job thanks for sharing.
Along with member responses you can also read the articles written. You can find them on the top of the page under articles lots of great information.

Abit of a tip for you, I notice in the pics u have all the stems planted together (on the left)and the grass looking ones in front (middle) If u pull them out and seperate them into single stems and smaller groups they will grow a lot better and cover more ground :)

Looking good [emoji106]

Abit of a tip for you, I notice in the pics u have all the stems planted together (on the left)and the grass looking ones in front (middle) If u pull them out and seperate them into single stems and smaller groups they will grow a lot better and cover more ground :)

Looking good [emoji106]
I did not know you could pull the micro sword apart to be honest. I thought you had to keep it together for better results. But that is good to know.
I'll work on that. Thanks a bunch

I did not know you could pull the micro sword apart to be honest. I thought you had to keep it together for better results. But that is good to know.
I'll work on that. Thanks a bunch

I'm pretty sure u can. They should have seperate root groups u can pull apart into smaller plants. If u plant them in a grid pattern about an inch apart it will assist them in carpeting and u won't get a clumpy carpet :)

So I turned on my lights today and took a look at my plants that I newly planted. Hasn't even been 48 hours some plants are already losing color. I don't know if this is normal or not. I figured I would just hang tight and watch and dose fertilizers regularly and hope for a rebound.

But I have one particular plant, the chainsword narrow leaf plant that is losing color rather quickly.
IMG_20170429_145726796.jpg

I took a picture of it yesterday and it wasn't this bad. The picture is at the beginning of this post.
Is there something I should be doing this this? Should I dose something specific? Or are these leaves a lost cause? Should I trim them? And if I did, would the plant come back?

I am new to this so everything is dramatic to me. Haha
Am I over reacting to a normal process? Or is this something I need to correct?
Thanks for the help

So I turned on my lights today and took a look at my plants that I newly planted. Hasn't even been 48 hours some plants are already losing color. I don't know if this is normal or not. I figured I would just hang tight and watch and dose fertilizers regularly and hope for a rebound.

But I have one particular plant, the chainsword narrow leaf plant that is losing color rather quickly.
View attachment 298678

I took a picture of it yesterday and it wasn't this bad. The picture is at the beginning of this post.
Is there something I should be doing this this? Should I dose something specific? Or are these leaves a lost cause? Should I trim them? And if I did, would the plant come back?

I am new to this so everything is dramatic to me. Haha
Am I over reacting to a normal process? Or is this something I need to correct?
Thanks for the help

I'm just guessing here but some plants can be grown emersed when u get them. There for the old growth will die out making way for the new "aquatic growth" I'm not sure if micro swords can be grown emersed but it would be worth a Google search.

Also a lot of plants tend to "melt" when they are first added to a new environment. They need a chance to adapt to the difference in conditions. Keep up your macro ferts and co2 booster if u have it. Any leaves that look too far gone trim them off to avoid algae.

Sorry I'm not experienced with micro swords. Just going off general plant info :)
Hope I've helped :)

Thanks for advice. I'll watch closely and keep up macro ferts. I have no fish in here yet. Just trying to keep plants alive for now.
I'll post pictures as things change. I'm sure I'll have many questions as things progress.

Back
Top Bottom