First try at peacock gudgeons

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Gillie

Aquarium Advice Addict
After keeping these guys many times over the years, I've decided to try my hand at breeding them. Wednesday, I picked up a young pair and shortly after being placed in their tank, the female started displaying and turning on her side to show her belly. Being a cichlid guy this behavior was alien to me and for hours she did this with no response from the male. I got home from work yesterday to find them both in a pot, no eggs and they wouldn't budge even for food. I got a little worried and did a water change and left the lights off, in case they were stressed. Today I checked on them before leaving for work and the female was out of the pot and much thinner, when I looked in the pot the male was huddled close to a bunch of surprisingly large eggs:thumbup:. I'm going to try for pics tonight, hopefully the phone camera is up to the task.

Nice work, gillie. Ive been waiting for Clayman to have some peacock gudgeons ready to go. Then im gonna give em a whirl as well. Good luck on the hatch. Ill be following.

Sent from my SPH-L710 using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Congrats! Good luck with them!

I've been waiting for my LFS to get them in stock, maybe when I get them I'll have the same luck as you!

Fishobsessed7

Money Can't Buy Happiness, But It Can Buy Fish Which Is Pretty Much The Same Thing

You better step it up sir since we all are depending on you to stock our tanks with peacocks.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N900A using Aquarium Advice mobile app

So you only have 1 pair? Places near me don't even stock peacock gudgeons. Last time I purchased some the store was 1.5 + hours away. Before that I mail ordered from a dude in Delaware. I don't understand why they get overlooked. They are such a pretty little fish and it's not like they hide all the time unless sitting on eggs.

So you only have 1 pair? Places near me don't even stock peacock gudgeons. Last time I purchased some the store was 1.5 + hours away. Before that I mail ordered from a dude in Delaware. I don't understand why they get overlooked. They are such a pretty little fish and it's not like they hide all the time unless sitting on eggs.

Yeah it was the only pair left. I used to see them everywhere, but not so much in the last couple years.

My lfs has a mess of them, they are cool little fish, lil killi, lil apisto..

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Aquarium Advice mobile app

I've never seen them in a lfs either. Even online they seem to run $7 and up. Great color, good size, and lots of personality...good luck with your pair, I'm definitely following!

Well there will be no babies this time, the male is out and about and the eggs are gone. At least I have years of apisto breeding exp to make that feel normal:confused:

I think your fish will get this right for you..

My LFS had peacocks last week when I traded, but this week ........

I am still waiting on a bud hopefully to hook me up.

Definitely following as these guys are on my short list.

So I noticed that my male's eyes are a different color than the female's. Has anyone else noticed the same?

I have 7 of them. There are differences in eye color but it isn't consistent between the sexes.

Back
Top Bottom