Fish books

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

fishygurl

Aquarium Advice Freak
You know what annoys me? That i havn't read 1 not one, book on fish that expains anything properly. They never actually mentions the actual cycling process, they never emphasize the importance of plants, they never make it easy. There should be a book that gives you an actual step by step guide. Like, what lights to buy, what plants to buy, what ferts to dose, what food to feed, co2. Also, to buy an overated filter, not to buy a UGF, and that kinds of stuff. I remember when i was first reasearching fish, i read atleast 25+ books, and they all said, do this or do this or you could do this, they said like: DO THIS. Actual instuctions. Also such a book should include stocking plans that would actually work. If I had more experience i would write this book, actually whe i get alot more experience i might. LOL But why do you think no one ever wrote a book like this?

well, I have one book that does explain most of stuff... but I wont mention its name because it is written in Latvian... I also dont enjoy stuff, that tells me what to do.. I love experiments on my own... I think it is impossible to write a book about whole aquarium hobbie because there is so much undiscovered things

The aquarium hobby is so diverse that its impossible to say "Do this" Becuase there is so many variables involved. Thats why when you post a question on the site people want to know the size of your tank, what kind of filtration, what fish are in it, water paremters, etc... becuase it all plays a factor in the big picture.

although i wonder, do they have a "Aquarium keeping for dummies" book? LOL

I realize how many options there are, and stuff like that, but if someone were to read the book BEFORE they got a tank, dont you think it would save alot of trouble than getting bad advice from a LFS. I wasnt saying that the book would leave the reader no room to experiment, just that they should at least discourage things that could create disaster. Ok, mabye such a book shouldnt have actual instructions, but have you ever read a book that even mentions fishless cycling? Or testing the water even? I wasnt trying to say that this book should not leave the reader any choice, just i think more people would stick with fish keeping if they knew right from the start how to set up a healthy tank. I too like to experiment, and setting up and choosing the equipment for my tank was one of the best parts, but in some areas, "exerimenting' could cost the life of a fish. These are the area where i think that books should have more distinct guidelines.

Back
Top Bottom