Fish classifications

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Zagz

Aquarium Advice Addict
I keep seeing cichlids classified as F1 F2 F3. What exactly does this mean? I think it means F1 is first generation, F2 is second and so on. Next question, if that is what it means, is it better to get a certain classification of fish or does it really matter. Thx in advance.

At least I think it would be better to get a F1. With German Rams for example the parental generation might be wildcaught and very sensitive to water parameters, but following generations bred in captivity are probably hardier and get along better with a wider range of water parameters (e.g.ph).

Tiffi said:
At least I think it would be better to get a F1. With German Rams for example the parental generation might be wildcaught and very sensitive to water parameters, but following generations bred in captivity are probably hardier and get along better with a wider range of water parameters (e.g.ph).

If I am following your train of thought, and granted I may not be, wouldn't it be better to get a F2 for that reason? Or even a F3?

Your understanding of the designations (F0, F1, F2, etc.) is right on the money. F0 fish, at least in aquarium-speak, are wild-caught fish. F1 fish are the captive-born offspring of an F0 pair. F2 are the offspring of an F1 pair.....and so on....and so on.

One school of thought is that as you continue to captively-breed fish generation after generation, the resulting generations begin to lose some of the color intensity and other characteristics of the wild-caught types. On the other hand, captively-bred fish do tend to be (in general) a bit hardier and more adaptable to a wider range of aquarium conditions than their wild-caught ancestors. You have to strike a balance somewhere, I suppose, between the appearance of wild-caught fish and the hardiness of captive-born fish and I guess an F1 or F2 generation fish would come closest to that balance.

-Joe

FWIW, you will probably never encounter these classifications at your LFS. This is usually the domain of breeder's who are taking the time and effort to supply the hobby with truly great specimens.

FWIW, you will probably never encounter these classifications at your LFS. This is usually the domain of breeder's who are taking the time and effort to supply the hobby with truly great specimens.

Very true. I wish they actually did post the F number. I have seen way too many yellow labs that are in the higher F's. They are not as yellow and have the speckles from many generations of captive breeding. Also, the speckles don't come until they start to mature. If purchased as a juvi, you don't know if they will have the spots.

Back
Top Bottom