Fish compatible with Laetacara Curviceps?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Blazeherd2306

Aquarium Advice Addict
Well, are there any fish compatible with Laetacara Curviceps besides tetras or other minnows? He's in a 10 gal and is about 2.5 inches long. Just about every fish I add to the tank seems to be bullied to death by my Curviceps cichlid expept tetras. I've tried a Bolivian Ram, a Dwarf Gourami, Cory Cats, and Otos, but all of them have died due to my Curviceps cichlid. Any suggestions on what I can keep with it?

Here is a pic

Attachments

• copy_of_hpim0182.jpg
    copy_of_hpim0182.jpg
    57.1 KB · Views: 85
I haven't had Laetacara curviceps that are aggressive except when spawning (and then they just drove other fish away from the spawning site). Mine primarily stayed near the bottom among the plants so if you get a fish that stays in open water near the surface you should be safe. How about some hatchetfish or rainbowfish? You might also look at putting more plants in your tank to provide additional cover.

no spelling skilss but anomochlomis thomasi aka butterfly chilid may like more space but curiceps was recommended to me for tankmates

I thought they were supposed to be peaceful, but mine is very aggressive. He will chase and nip fins from fish that he does not like and eventually kill them.

I actually would like to see him get bullied by another fish, but that is probably not the best solution.

It might be that your fish is either a sociopath or claustrophobic. I kept mine in a 30 gallon community tank and never saw any unusual signs of aggression.

That is one possibility. Adding more plants to give it additional cover could help. You could also try exchanging it at the store where you bought it for another specimen. My LFS would let me bring back fish and get a full refund for fish that were too aggressive.

I definitely think the problems you are having stem from being in a 10 gal, even though he is small. I'm confident that upgrading his digs will permit quite a few tankmates.

Alright, I will upgrade to a 30 gal sometime soon. Thanks for the advice!

Back
Top Bottom