Fish for a planted tank

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Yah that'll do, just rinse it a bit. The buckets I have are all fishing buckets (filled with salt crust and fish/shrimp parts) or were used to store toxic chemicals and detergent.

Crepe said:
Yah that'll do, just rinse it a bit. The buckets I have are all fishing buckets (filled with salt crust and fish/shrimp parts) or were used to store toxic chemicals and detergent.

I bought those buckets specifically for PWC but I also used it for rinsing filter cartridges and trimming, cleaning new aquarium plants.

Update: I added a few cardinal tetras instead of the danios. I drip acclimated them for 2 hours last night and they swam near the front front of the tank until the lights turned on this morning and they are just swimming near the glass at the bank of the tank. Are they stressed? They ate well this morning and colors are beautiful. No fading or anything which is a sign of stress. Thanks!

Be careful not to add too many fish at once. Any fish you add can start a mini cycle (basically where the bacteria has to catch up to how much they now have to eat), so adding too many can put the tank in the conditions it was during the first cycle where it's bad for the fish. 1 big fish at a time, 3-5 tiny fish.

As long as they are swimming normally, I'd assume they are fine and are just getting used to their new surroundings. Very pretty addition, btw!

Beautiful fish! Its good that you done a Drip acclimation, good job ;) How many did you add at a time? I agree with Tim to a point, its always good to add 1-3 fish at a time, but considering that you have a big tank, you could've added 6-8 of those cardinals at a time.

Thanks! :)

Last Thursday, I added 8 long finned zebra danios. Got home and was told that the danios were nipping on the angels and black skirts. They did some damage. I checked the water levels and everything are where they are suppose to be. I took the danios out Monday night and 2 small angels that passed(again). That's a total of 10 fishes. Assuming that the bacteria cope up with the added fish(danios), I added 14 cardinal tetras. Which is really an additional 4 fishes on the bio load. I tested the water 24 hours after I added the cardinals and ammonia is 0.0ppm. I'm planning to check it twice a day.

The Danios were nipping fins? Woah... I would not have expected that.

I wonder if it could have been scavenging... I kept Tiger Barbs a while back and they fought, etc, but wouldn't ever do real damage. Then a red tailed shark (which I sold back immediately after this) killed two and injured 1 Barb, the rest of the Barbs started to mercilessly attack their own injured tank mate to the point where I had to put it in a breeder box... So what I'm wondering is: If the Angel was already sick (maybe it is just all those baby Angels) the Danios were perhaps scavenging on the dying/sick just like many scavengers (including Piranha) do.

Tim Wheatley said:
The Danios were nipping fins? Woah... I would not have expected that.

I wonder if it could have been scavenging... I kept Tiger Barbs a while back and they fought, etc, but wouldn't ever do real damage. Then a red tailed shark (which I sold back immediately after this) killed two and injured 1 Barb, the rest of the Barbs started to mercilessly attack their own injured tank mate to the point where I had to put it in a breeder box... So what I'm wondering is: If the Angel was already sick (maybe it is just all those baby Angels) the Danios were perhaps scavenging on the dying/sick just like many scavengers (including Piranha) do.

I'm thinking the same thing too but after the BGK attacked(?) the angels. Only the baby angels passed. How about the nipped black skirts? I have 2 angels left but there are twice as big.

Wow..you've had quite the week! Danios can be chasers...it's one of my zebras favorite things to do. I've never had them fin nip before though. That's not good at all.
Is it possible to get more of the larger angels? I know the bigger ones are usually more expensive but if $ is not an issue, I think the extra size is worth the extra $.

Wow..you've had quite the week! Danios can be chasers...it's one of my zebras favorite things to do. I've never had them fin nip before though. That's not good at all.
Is it possible to get more of the larger angels? I know the bigger ones are usually more expensive but if $ is not an issue, I think the extra size is worth the extra $.

That is exactly what i am planning to do. To just get a much bigger angel that has a better chance of survival. A lot better than getting frustrated and sad for the loss. Even though I can take them back and get refunded. I'll probably get them on Monday or until the cardinals are comfortable enough to swim closer to the front of the tank. I don't want to add stress to them with more bigger fish around.

It took me a while to catch all the danios. Luckily, none of the plants were uprooted. I made a DIY trap using a 2 liter soda bottle. Guided them towards it :D It was stressful to me as well. Lol!

Oh, catching fish can be quite the circus..I know. I moved some of my tetra out of my 37 gal when I got my 20 gal and completely uprooted about 75% of my plants in the process. I vowed then and there never to do that again..Too stressful. lol :silly:

Sounds like a good plan. I know I've said it a couple times, but I honestly do think the bigger ones are worth it if you can swallow the price.

Oh, catching fish can be quite the circus..I know. I moved some of my tetra out of my 37 gal when I got my 20 gal and completely uprooted about 75% of my plants in the process. I vowed then and there never to do that again..Too stressful. lol :silly:

Sounds like a good plan. I know I've said it a couple times, but I honestly do think the bigger ones are worth it if you can swallow the price.

I'm thinking of just ordering online. I really like the Pinoy philippine angelfish. do you have any experience ordering fish online? Which angelfish is your favorite? :)

I have ordered from aquariumfish.net a lot. Their site is a little funky but you get it eventually, basically ignore everything on the right until you've clicked a link on the left.

I like most of the Koi type Angelfish. I have two in a breeder tank guarding eggs as I type. :)

I'm really sorry for the bad week you've had. But, it's all learning. My worst experience was when I built a 3D background with slate and silicone (used as glue) for a tank. It looked awesome but I lost a neon tetra and almost lost a betta fish which got stuck in it. Was totally my fault. The poor betta I had to pull him out by his fins and I ripped them doing it. He recovered and you couldn't really tell visually because of the shredded look he had anyway, but it made me feel awful... We all have had these weeks in one way or another.

I checked my tank first thing in the morning. I was missing 2 cardinals. I saw one that is beyond recognition except for the red color. It's the BgK. I'm sure this time. :(

Oh, no! :( Have you decided what you're going to do?

I 2nd the Koi Angelfish. I think all angels have their own interesting color/ patterns but I do love the splash of orange in the Koi.

Coleallensmom said:
Oh, no! :( Have you decided what you're going to do?

I 2nd the Koi Angelfish. I think all angels have their own interesting color/ patterns but I do love the splash of orange in the Koi.

I am down to 8 cardinals :( I think I should get a RODI if I really want cardinals or discus.

I also like koi angelfish. They are nice looking. :) do you think an FX5 n a 125 is fine with angels or is the current going to be too much? I am planning to buy one this Monday. I found an LFS that sells it for $200.

I just tested my kh and gh.
KH: 2drops(0-50ppm)
GH: 5drops(50-100ppm)

KH is good to keep discus but the GH is a little over the recommended ppm for discus. pH is 7.2. Is it good enough for discus? I bought PEAT media for fluval fx5. It's a natural water softener and acidifier. It'll probably lower the pH eventually.

I just tested my kh and gh.
KH: 2drops(0-50ppm)
GH: 5drops(50-100ppm)

KH is good to keep discus but the GH is a little over the recommended ppm for discus. pH is 7.2. Is it good enough for discus? I bought PEAT media for fluval fx5. It's a natural water softener and acidifier. It'll probably lower the pH eventually.

Nope, don't do it. I have followed this thread and I totally recommend no discus. Just google and become experienced as possible first...

Nope, don't do it. I have followed this thread and I totally recommend no discus. Just google and become experienced as possible first...

Why would you recommend not to add discus? Without keeping them at all, you will never be able to gain experience from it. Im sure he did his research before considering getting discus.

Roy- If properly acclimated, the ph of 7.2 will be just fine.

Back
Top Bottom