Fish for a planted tank

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
tyspot1000 said:
Why would you recommend not to add discus? Without keeping them at all, you will never be able to gain experience from it. Im sure he did his research before considering getting discus.

Roy- If properly acclimated, the ph of 7.2 will be just fine.

Thanks Tyler :D

Anyway, I tested my ph and it's 7. I went to a discus breeder yesterday. He has at least close to a thousand discus and he is using straight tap water. So, if I'll buy discus from him, they'll have a better chance of surviving.

How do you properly acclimate a discus? Drip acclimation with heater and aerator? Thanks! :)

Yep, drip would be the right way to go ;) Maybe 2-3 hour drip acclimation, 1-3 drops per second.

tyspot1000 said:
Yep, drip would be the right way to go ;) Maybe 2-3 hour drip acclimation, 1-3 drops per second.

Great :) I've been doing drip acclimation with all my new fishes since you suggested for me to do that. Thanks.

roydooms said:
Thanks Tyler :D

Anyway, I tested my ph and it's 7. I went to a discus breeder yesterday. He has at least close to a thousand discus and he is using straight tap water. So, if I'll buy discus from him, they'll have a better chance of surviving.

How do you properly acclimate a discus? Drip acclimation with heater and aerator? Thanks! :)

That depends on his tap water. Still properly acclimate no matter what the source. I've never had to use a heater and aerator as the water dripping in is from a heated tank anyway and should have plenty of oxygen. Granted maybe discus might take longer than anything I have acclimated but I always use a manual siphon using airline and a 5g bucket.

Tim Wheatley said:
That depends on his tap water. Still properly acclimate no matter what the source. I've never had to use a heater and aerator as the water dripping in is from a heated tank anyway and should have plenty of oxygen. Granted maybe discus might take longer than anything I have acclimated but I always use a manual siphon using airline and a 5g bucket.

I will acclimate them for 3 hours. If I won't use a heater the temp will drop. It's always around 70F in my house. The water from the tank is heated but the temp of water in the bag where the discus are in, already dropped and it might take forever for the water to have the same temp as the tank or not at all. I'll just play it safe and use a heater and an aerator. I also use the same thing. It's just a little more work/setup that may give them a better chance of surviving. And they are pretty expensive too. :) It's going to hurt me and my wallet even if I just lose one. :)

Well you could simply water change the bucket (or whatever you are using for holding) with tank water shortly before you put them into the tank. I just always worry when people say they are putting a heater in a bucket or something with fish, as a lot of fish will use the heater for cover and I'm a worrier about burns. :) That's all. ;)

Tim Wheatley said:
Well you could simply water change the bucket (or whatever you are using for holding) with tank water shortly before you put them into the tank. I just always worry when people say they are putting a heater in a bucket or something with fish, as a lot of fish will use the heater for cover and I'm a worrier about burns. :) That's all. ;)

I never thought of fish getting burnt. If I'll use a heater, I might make a custom cover(?). So, Pwc after acclimation? I might just do that. Thanks Tim. :D

Back
Top Bottom