Fish for a planted tank

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Danios can be interesting to watch..VERY busy fish. Quick swimmers but IME not nippers; they should be just fine with Angels. There are quite a few kinds to choose from i.e. Zebra danio, pearl danio, rose danio, blue danio, leopard danio, gold danio....etc. Plus the longfin varieties as well. I have zebras in my 37 gallon, rose danios in my 20 gallon, and my son just bought longfin zebras for his 20 gallon.

I think I'll get a few danios. I kinda like the long finned zebras :D

Are cardinals fine with danios?

Coleallensmom said:
Cardinals are fine with zebras. Both are pretty peaceful fish IMO.

That's good. How about water quality for cardinals? Isn't it the same as discus?

Some say they are more sensitive to water quality then neons and they do prefer softer water, but I believe the average Ph is ok as long as it's not too high.

Coleallensmom said:
Some say they are more sensitive to water quality then neons and they do prefer softer water, but I believe the average Ph is ok as long as it's not too high.

How high is too high? My pH plays around 7.2-7.6.

If acclimated properly, the cardinals will do just fine in your ph. Cardinals are sensitive to water quality because most are wild-caught. Since they are pretty sensitive (Not as much as discus though), I good to have a well established tank and drip acclimate them for 2-3 hours.

tyspot1000 said:
If acclimated properly, the cardinals will do just fine in your ph. Cardinals are sensitive to water quality because most are wild-caught. Since they are pretty sensitive (Not as much as discus though), I good to have a well established tank and drip acclimate them for 2-3 hours.

Are the ones from petsmart wild caught? 2-3hours? I though an hour is more than enough. I'll do that. Thanks

Are the ones from petsmart wild caught? 2-3hours? I though an hour is more than enough. I'll do that. Thanks

I think he meant drip acclimate them. Put them in a 5 gallon bucket with a heater and drip water from the main tank into the bucket slowly. Like 1-3 drips per second. Then when you've got ~4 parts tank water to 1 part lfs water you're ready to net the fish up and put into QT or the main tank.

Crepe said:
I think he meant drip acclimate them. Put them in a 5 gallon bucket with a heater and drip water from the main tank into the bucket slowly. Like 1-3 drips per second. Then when you've got ~4 parts tank water to 1 part lfs water you're ready to net the fish up and put into QT or the main tank.

I knw that's what he meant. Like what I said, I thought you only do that for an hour. I'll do it longer now.

tyspot1000 said:

When drip acclimating, do you need to let the bag sit on the aquarium for half hour for temp to be the same? Or just do straight drip acclimation? Is the heater necessary? If you're doing drip, isn't the water with the new fish will eventually be the same temp? Thanks.

Water drops falling from the air are going to cool to room temp or near room temp fast. Especially in 2 hours time. If you keep your house warm 75+ I wouldn't see an issue. Otherwise I suggest the heater so you can get the water to tank water temp and directly put them in.

Crepe said:
Water drops falling from the air are going to cool to room temp or near room temp fast. Especially in 2 hours time. If you keep your house warm 75+ I wouldn't see an issue. Otherwise I suggest the heater so you can get the water to tank water temp and directly put them in.

Can the end of the tube be under water with the new fish? It is still going to drip because it is lower than the tank. Using a small heater is a good idea.

I like keeping it above the water so I can hear it drip and make sure nothing has the hose clogged/ the drip is constant. But you could put it underwater.

Crepe said:
I like keeping it above the water so I can hear it drip and make sure nothing has the hose clogged/ the drip is constant. But you could put it underwater.

Got it. Are you suppose to use a clear bucket? Is it stressful for the fish to be in a colored bucket because that is all they see? JW.

In my experience with using clear containers I would advise against it. The buckets going to be on the floor and walking past them is going to freak them big time and they'll be running into the sides and hurting themselves. Unfortunately all I have is clear buckets that I feel safe enough to use in the aquarium so when I drip I just wrap it in old shirts/jackets.

All I have are those orange home depot buckets. Will that work?

Back
Top Bottom