Fish for small tank

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

jonnythan

Aquarium Advice Activist
I have a 5 gallon Eclipse tank on my desk at work. My old betta just died, probably of old age (no signs of disease, water chemistry is fine), and I put in two sunset platies to replace him.

I know they'll get a little bigger, but they look a little lost in the tank. I'm looking for another 2-3 fish to put in.

The tank is thick and rather heavily decorated with driftwood and silk plants, so there are a lot of dark spots. Less brightly colored fish tend to get a little lost, which is why I got the brightly colored platies.

I'm thinking 2-3 fancy guppies or maybe even neon tetras, though those are so typical and boring. Any ideas are appreciated.

These two little platies look pretty lost in there.

Why is one betta and a few snails different from two platies and a pair of guppies, anyway?

I don't even like bettas in a 5g. They do so much better in bigger tanks that I feel bad for putting them a 5g. I just talked my wife into letting me have her 5g hex for a shrimp tank in exchange for setting up a spare 20H I have lying around.

The platies will grow to 2.5 inches and they are live bearers (so are guppies but I have never kept them so I won't comment on them) you could wind up with 5 gallons of babies. I agree that bettas are more enjoyable in a larger tank but they are labyrinth breathers so they will be ok in just a small tank.

I just think snails are neat.

For a 5 gallon tank with livebearers that will be breeding you need something to eat the fry. I'd go with an Akysis catfish; they only grow to about 2.5" max. Look like Asian bumblebee catfish, have the same wide mouth, but aren't big enough to eat anything much larger than guppy fry.

ember tetras
img_1117142_0_0b1721ec092cbfe20a1d94a39f721547.jpg

Pseudomugil gertrudae
P_gertrudae_Cadell_River.jpg

pseudomugil signifer
Pseudomugil_signifer_Townsville_Schmida.jpg

Boraras maculatus
boraras-maculatus.jpg

boraras brigittae
Boraras%20brigittae%203.jpg

Clown Killifish
pseudepiplatys_annulatus_1.jpg

Microdevario kubotai
m_kubotai.JPG

Galaxy rasboras
microrasborapercent20sp_percent20galaxy_194.jpg

do i need to keep going?

Galaxy rasboras remind me of miniature brook trout...omnomnomnom. Okay a 5g I would probably just keep as a shrimp tank you could probably even try your hand at aquascaping.

Back
Top Bottom