Fish Identification.....catfish?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Minze

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Can anyone help me identify this fish? I have had him/her for just over a year and it seems to be thriving. It's tripled in size in the last year so whatever I am doing must be OK, but I'd like to read up on what it is.

Image_1.JPG

Image_2.JPG

Sorry, I see how the pictures work here. I was trying to upload them and never saw anything in the preview. Now that i posted I see the thumbnails. Sorry for making anyone with a slow connection download the larger pictures.

Looks like a Spotted Raphael or Talking Catfish. The scientific name is Agamyxis pectinifrons. You can find more info and pictures at www.planetcatfish.com and look in the Cat-elog. I have one, but I hardly ever see him except at feeding time.

Fine fish.
Like to hide a lot.
I don't recommend it, but if you take them out of the water they click. Seriously. Jeff

BTW, he's an awesome fish. After the lights go out he loves to go up to the power head swim head first into the water as it comes out (as long as there are air bubbles in it. Without the bubbles, he leaves it alone). He does the same thing with the HOB filter. I have to make sure not to fill the tank too high as he will try to swim against the current into the filter.

He is joined by 2 iridescent sharks, 3 ottos, 1 common pleco, 4 3 spot gouramis, and a lone Albino Tiger Barb. He is the last left from his school of 3. Now that he is full on adult size my LFS doesn't carry any his size. I put 3 of the largest they carry in his tank and he nipped them and shredded their fins. They are in a 10 gallon now until they get big enough to put back in the main tank.

Oh, and thanks for the compliment on the Spotted Raphael, he's about 5 inches long but quite fat around the middle.

Back
Top Bottom