Fish info

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Angela1108

Aquarium Advice Addict
So I am thinking about starting a salt tank. I've been doing research online about the fish I would like to have. The one thing I have seen tons of opinions/differing info is tank sizes needed.

The two fish I would be considering would be royal gramma, purple dotty back, and purple fire fish or purple basslet. (Can you see a theme here??) my other question- would any of these be compatible

Sorry I know these are really basic questions but I've gotten differing info all over which makes me nervous because I know more can go wrong with aggression stuff than with fresh water species

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

Liveaquaria.com is a great source in terms of how much room fish need. They also have a compatibility chart that will tell you if species A will work with B...or even more of A for that matter.

Depending on tank size they could all be fine but in a smaller tank no. The gramma and dottyback would most likely fight. The firefish would probably be fine with the gramma and idk what a purple basslet is but it would 100% fight with the royal gramma since they're a basslet too

Ok thanks! I use liveaquaria as a sort of guide for new to me fresh water fish but since I have no experience in salt I wasn't sure if their suggested sizes were good for salt.

I feel that they are the best for tank size suggestions. They tend to run a little bigger than other sites, but I tend to agree that some fish do better with that little bit more room. Going a little smaller can cause stress and that is not good.

Liveaquaria says 30g for the gramma and 10 for the fire fish and 30g for the dottyback. Based on what you've said I think I would do a pair of fire and then either the dotty or gramma. Like I said I am a ways away from getting it. Still trying to do more research and get everything figured out. I want to plan it more than I have my fresh water tanks :)

Thanks for the input

Yeah I've heard it's one of those hit or miss and totally depends on the fish :/

Is it pretty much like that with all the basslets?

Royal grammas aren't bad. Dottybacks I agree can be jerks. Idk where royal grammas got a reputation as a mean fish...

Well ironically when I went to a hardware store to get sand for my fresh water tank the guy asked if the size mattered- he asked what it was for. I told him and he got all excited. He had a 90g with a royal gramma and a bunch of others. He told me how his royal gramma went on a spree and killed 2 other fish. Of course it was forever ago now and I can't remember what he said they were. I remember it was a much larger fish. I was super shocked at what he told me.

Well ironically when I went to a hardware store to get sand for my tank the guy asked if the size mattered- he asked what it was for. I told him and he got all excited. He had a 90g with a royal gramma and a bunch of others. He told me how his royal gramma went on a spree and killed 2 other fish. Of course it was forever ago now and I can't remember what he said they were. I remember it was a much larger fish. I was super shocked at what he told me.

I have a hard time believing that. Mine is super peaceful, being secretive by nature. But like all fish they do have their own individual personalities.
Edit: was he sure it was a royal gramma? Another fish, the bicolor dottyback gets mistaken for royal grammas constantly and they're little devils.

I have a hard time believing that. Mine is super peaceful, being secretive by nature. But like all fish they do have their own individual personalities.
Edit: was he sure it was a royal gramma? Another fish, the bicolor dottyback gets mistaken for royal grammas constantly and they're little devils.

I did think it was kinda strange. He said it was like a week after he introduced it to the tank so I am wondering if it introduced something or if he was over stocked or something and it stressed them. I didn't really have much background or anything on the tank. But who knows.

Any other purple fish that I hadn't thought of that you guys can think of? I know some coral beauty's have some but I don't think that we would want to go that big. We were thinking 30-40 tops for now once we take the plunge

Back
Top Bottom