Fish just died

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Ff_emt2008

Aquarium Advice Regular
Hey every one so u came home today to see that one of my 2 bala sharks died today. It was the smaller of the 2. I have a 55 gal tank with one mollie 7 platy 1 Chinese alge eater and 2 tetra. I know that my big bala shark can be mean cause it has ate 3 tetra. My nitrate is 0 nitrite is 0 hardness 0 chlorine 0 alkalinity is 40 and ph is 6.8. The fish was fine last night and didn't look before work today. Any help would be nice dont want another fish to die

Ff_emt2008 said:
Hey every one so u came home today to see that one of my 2 bala sharks died today. It was the smaller of the 2. I have a 55 gal tank with one mollie 7 platy 1 Chinese alge eater and 2 tetra. I know that my big bala shark can be mean cause it has ate 3 tetra. My nitrate is 0 nitrite is 0 hardness 0 chlorine 0 alkalinity is 40 and ph is 6.8. The fish was fine last night and didn't look before work today. Any help would be nice dont want another fish to die

What is your ammonia reading? I would remove the fish and do a 30% water change to get your nitrates down a bit.

Im not sure what my ammonia is at I am using test strips and it doesn't show it. The only thing with removing my fish is I have no place to put them but I am going to do the 30% water change as soon as I get home. Would putting fresh carbon in my filters help?

Ff_emt2008 said:
Im not sure what my ammonia is at I am using test strips and it doesn't show it. The only thing with removing my fish is I have no place to put them but I am going to do the 30% water change as soon as I get home. Would putting fresh carbon in my filters help?

First thing you need to do it sometime in the near future invest in a API Freshwater Drip test kit. The strips are very inaccurate. And I meant remove the dead fish (which I hope you've already done lol) carbon will not remove ammonia, nitrite or nitrate. Carbon is good for removing medications, chlorine and heavy metals. So it's not going to help or hurt you.

I have had this tank up and run with fish for 6 month now and do 20%pwc weekly could it have falling out of cycle and I'm not sure if I copied all my level down right I will check my levels when I get home from work and post them. I'm think I'm going to get the better test kit this week so that I know I'm getting a better reading

Ff_emt2008 said:
I have had this tank up and run with fish for 6 month now and do 20%pwc weekly could it have falling out of cycle and I'm not sure if I copied all my level down right I will check my levels when I get home from work and post them. I'm think I'm going to get the better test kit this week so that I know I'm getting a better reading

If you added a lot of fish at one time it may have crashed. If it wasn't cycled and you added fish it may have never been cycled and just can't keep up with your stock.

So I was wrong with what my nitrite is its not 0 it 5 so everything says good according to the chart. I did a fish in cycle using goldfish for 2 month and then gave them to my lfs and slowly added the fish I have now

So I was wrong with what my nitrite is its not 0 it 5 so everything says good according to the chart. I did a fish in cycle using goldfish for 2 month and then gave them to my lfs and slowly added the fish I have now

I was thinking , as long as you kept up with water changes when you first got the fish is should have been cycled a while ago. He's in your 55 gallon tank right?

What kind of filter are you using, and when you do water changes do you clean the filters? If so, how do you clean them?

I was using 2 top fin 30 but I just got the penn-pinx cascade 1000 yesterday so right now the is 3 but I'm going to remove the 2 hob soon
I was down one filter every outher week with water I take from the tank

Back
Top Bottom