Fish recommendations for a 20 gallon tank?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Aquaman23

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I am planning on starting an aquarium for my new house and I was wondering if anybody had fish suggestions?

I wanted to start with a 20 gallon aquarium but I would be open to the idea of a large one if necessary. I was hoping to keep bout 20+ fish eventually in it.

These are the two I have decided on so far:

A small School of some species of tetras
A few swordtail fish.

I really wanted some clown loaches but after a bit of research I saw that they reach a maximum size of 16" and need at least a 75 gallon so these are out of the question.

I also wanted some ropefish but I researched them as well and saw that they are peaceful, but can grow to well over 2 feet and need at least a 50 gallon and the company of other ropefish.

I also really wanted a small school of tiger barbs but, again, I researched them and read that they are somewhat aggressive.

Do any of you guys have any recommendations for any easy to keep, good looking peaceful fish that can live well with swordtails and tetras?

Also, if a 20 gallon is too small for 20+ fish, what size would you guys recommend for a beginner that wouldn't take up a large amount of space and would be easy to maintain?

Thanks guys!

-Jake Huff

I've got strawberry bards there nice and can go with them there not aggressive

Check out Odessa Barbs as well...

Also a 38g is 36in long but same width as a 20g...should be big enough heh

i like small species of corydoras, some CPDs (Celestial Pearl Danios) which i am going to buy for my tank, chili rasboras, and scarlet basis. all of those i listed school and only grows to a maximum size of 1inch. except for the corydoras, they only school :).

Paulcm10 said:
i like small species of corydoras, some CPDs (Celestial Pearl Danios) which i am going to buy for my tank, chili rasboras, and scarlet basis. all of those i listed school and only grows to a maximum size of 1inch. except for the corydoras, they only school :).

Scarlet Badis do NOT school. Males are territorial. They are micro predators. They ease around often freezing in place. Never as a group.

Scarlet Badis do NOT school. Males are territorial. They are micro predators. They ease around often freezing in place. Never as a group.

they don't? hmm see i read it somewhere that they did. well my mistake but i did know about them being predators. I thought i should throw in a predator on the list that i was giving him just incase he likes predators =p

I love my kuhli loaches, although the only ones I found locally were black they are really interesting and a lot of fun to watch.

Try to get as big of a tank as you can. Trust me, once you get it set up you will always be wishing you had gone bigger.

Sand is my personal favorite substrate. I just mentioned this in another post, but pool filter sand is really cheap and works great.

I think a bristlenose pleco is a staple for just about any freshwater tank 20 gallons or larger. They eat just about every kind of algae out there and are a lot of fun to watch. Just make sure they have some driftwood to gnaw on if you decide to get one.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom