Fish Safe with Cichlids

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Ok, but one question can I keep the rainbowfish, and ropefish? They are all doing really well in this tank, none of them have injuries, they are eating well, and have there own spots where they can go if the cichlids are getting a little feisty and they will NOT be bothered.

I don't see either doing well here. Definitely not the peaceful rainbow. Unsure on the rope fish but I kinda doubt it longterm for either. Syno cat should be fine. My peacocks are still pretty aggressive.

The rainbows are actually pretty aggressive they all have there own territories that they guard at night from the other rainbow and during the day I have seem them chase the cichlids around a little not biting them but pushing them. One has a territory behind the heater another behind the filter and the third at the bottom of the heater. The Ropefish is at the bottom constantly and the occasional time he does come out the fish all dart away from him and won't swim near him. I will watch for any aggression to or injuries on these fish. If I do see aggression or injuries I will move them to my 40 gallon and if they have to go then I will see to it that they are in a good home. Also I'm pretty sure the Ropefish will be fine, I got it at petco but the lady who I asked about the Ropefish has been keeping them for years and is highly knowledgeable on Ropefish. She showed me a video of one of her full grown Ropefish swimming in her 140 gallon peacock tank, it was extremely healthy and showed no signs of stress or any injuries despite the fact that there were full grown male peacocks swimming around it.

Also I think the five barred is a Tanganyikan species.

It is, i figured out that the guy i bought it from had misheard me when I asked if it was from lake Malawi, I am watching mine for that reason if he shows a lot of aggression then to a new home he goes, sadly, only if it's a good home.

I will fully admit to having no knowledge of how those species will work together. I was just offering a guess. I do hope it works out for you.

Thanks, I did research of those fish would get along with my cichlids a few weeks before I bought them.

Look dude, no offense, but you really seem like you have no idea what you're doing. By coming on this forum and asking for advice on every single fish on the planet and asking if it is going to work with your tank isn't going to get you very far. We all have different opinions and different experiences. The general rule is that you want to keep Malawi peacocks with other Malawi peacocks. If you want any other fish in the tank (which it seems like you want every fish out there other than a Malawi peacock) you should really just do a quick google search on the fish. If you are looking to have a peacock tank you want to look for a fish with a relatively peaceful temperament. If you already own these fish, I suggest you rehome them and start over.

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

The rainbows are actually pretty aggressive they all have there own territories that they guard at night from the other rainbow and during the day I have seem them chase the cichlids around a little not biting them but pushing them. One has a territory behind the heater another behind the filter and the third at the bottom of the heater. The Ropefish is at the bottom constantly and the occasional time he does come out the fish all dart away from him and won't swim near him. I will watch for any aggression to or injuries on these fish. If I do see aggression or injuries I will move them to my 40 gallon and if they have to go then I will see to it that they are in a good home. Also I'm pretty sure the Ropefish will be fine, I got it at petco but the lady who I asked about the Ropefish has been keeping them for years and is highly knowledgeable on Ropefish. She showed me a video of one of her full grown Ropefish swimming in her 140 gallon peacock tank, it was extremely healthy and showed no signs of stress or any injuries despite the fact that there were full grown male peacocks swimming around it.

This sounds more like hiding than territories. What rainbows are you talking about?

In the tank there are two Australian rainbows and a Banded rainbow. The rainbowfish also only go to their territories at night.

Yeah those rainbows are scared and hiding, not claiming a territory. Rainbows should be out swimming freely and loosely schooling, not huddled behind a heater or filter. Rainbows also like a larger group than just three. You should definitely look at rehoming those.

Sent from my iPad using Aquarium Advice

I am trying not argue here, but, they only go behind the heater and filter at night and they are freely swimming through the tank during the day. And I am getting more rainbows this weekend.

Another confusing and train wrecked thread.

OP listen to the advise your giving. If you don't want advise on what to do don't post. Plain and simple

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Check out kgtropicals youtube videos he really helped me out with my cichlids and he proves everyone wrong with mixing african cichlids if you know how to deal wth aggression then you will be fine

Sent from my LG-D851 using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Check out kgtropicals youtube videos he really helped me out with my cichlids and he proves everyone wrong with mixing african cichlids if you know how to deal wth aggression then you will be fine

Sent from my LG-D851 using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Anyone who claims to "prove everyone wrong with mixing cichlids" already sounds like an idiot.

Back
Top Bottom