Fish Safe with Cichlids

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
if you know how to deal wth aggression then you will be fine

Sent from my LG-D851 using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Key word is IF, he's relatively new to this area of the hobby, mixing cichlids are usually for the experienced keepers and even then it's quite rare to have a successful tank long term mixing cichlids.

Check out kgtropicals youtube videos he really helped me out with my cichlids and he proves everyone wrong with mixing african cichlids if you know how to deal wth aggression then you will be fine

So let me see a breeding pair of auratus with some aulonocara... hmm? Maybe some demasoni with aulonocara?

Edited to only include Africans.

I'm sorry guys I was being a jerk by not listening to you. But I really thought that rainbows could get along with peacock cichlids. And I have been trying to catch my most aggressive cichlid the calico mubuna.

Mixing african cichlids. I said but everyone has different views it doesnt make them an idiot.

Mixing african cichlids. I said but everyone has different views it doesnt make them an idiot.

My post only reflects Africans, and I stand by my statement. Sounds like Ur listening to someone who doesn't fully comprehend the situation. As juvies, maybe mixing species not meant to be mixed will work but as they mature and especially begin trying to mate its going to hit the fan more than likely.

So you would try either of my previous examples???

Check out kgtropicals youtube videos he really helped me out with my cichlids and he proves everyone wrong with mixing african cichlids if you know how to deal wth aggression then you will be fine

This is a place for advice. Don't let your YouTube subscriptions misconstrue anyone's perspective on the right way to do things. Ultimately, a person can do what they want, but to refer someone to nonsense on an advice forum is not plausible.

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

The one thing that i noticed about people on here is that no one has an open mind to anything which puts people off from even being on here. All i know is i went from someone who didnt even know how to cycle water to someone with 4 tanks including a 120 cichlid tank and i learned from youtube and doing research that came from youtube....and my tanks are thriving.

I disagree about your point that people in general in the forum being closed minded, however some people in this thread could relax a bit and maybe have better choice of words. Although that could be said about you as well, when you said "proved everyone wrong," that can be misleading to new aquarists and end disastrous. Instead you could've said, "in the video it shows that mixing lakes can be done under extreme supervision and lots of experience in the hobby." The advice given most of the time is usually the general rule of thumb and it is easier for new aquarists to follow, there could be exceptions here and there, but a huge disclaimer should always follow if you were to ever mention alternatives that only few have had success with.

I disagree about your point that people in general in the forum being closed minded, however some people in this thread could relax a bit and maybe have better choice of words. Although that could be said about you as well, when you said "proved everyone wrong," that can be misleading to new aquarists and end disastrous. Instead you could've said, "in the video it shows that mixing lakes can be done under extreme supervision and lots of experience in the hobby." The advice given most of the time is usually the general rule of thumb and it is easier for new aquarists to follow, there could be exceptions here and there, but a huge disclaimer should always follow if you were to ever mention alternatives that only few have had success with.
Said very well.

The one thing that i noticed about people on here is that no one has an open mind to anything which puts people off from even being on here. All i know is i went from someone who didnt even know how to cycle water to someone with 4 tanks including a 120 cichlid tank and i learned from youtube and doing research that came from youtube....and my tanks are thriving.

I was quick to totally disagree with you, I could've been more easy going in my reply, that's on me. However, the subject of mixing cichlids is one that I have researched so in depth. I bought and mixed cichlids (mbuna,peacock, and accidentally a huge hybrid sa/ca) and watched it blow up in my face. I came to this forum and a few tried to explain my mistake, I was ignorant and tried to argue with them. Point is, they were right. I read everything I could find about it. So, sorry if I seemed closed minded, I'm only that way from what I've seen and read.

Sonic- well said and nice composure

Yes fin, I've been very candid about my mistakes in the hobby. I've known better for quite a while now but when I started I thought I could mix mbuna and peacocks. I knew it was against popular wisdom but you know those couple random posts you see on forums that go "well I have mbuna and peacocks together for years and no problems", I decided to listen to those guys instead of the good advice I was given. It worked for a while but as the mbuna grew so did their aggression. Long term I just can't see it working given what I saw. Mbuna are relentless, seriously.

It's ok, I understand. So the only mbuna I will have in the tank is the yellow lab. To catch the calico I'm going to wait until the fish fall asleep than catch him if he is out in the open.

Hello, I have a 55 gallon lake Malawi setup with peacocks, a yellow lab, a five banded cichlid, and soon a school of blue acei. I need some ideas for fish that get along with these cichlids, here is what I have so far: Ropefish, Pleco, one spot domino syno catfish, and Rainbowfish.

Not the pleco or ropefish. Several species of synodontis can be kept with Africans. Rainbowfish I've heard can work, since they are dithers.

Back
Top Bottom