Fish that deserves more respect.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

bettaowner

Aquarium Advice Addict
I think there was a thread like this a while back but I'm not certain. What species of fish do you think deserves more respect? For me I'd say bettas or goldfish. People think that these fish are hardy beginner fish that can live in the smallest of tanks.

Sent from my iPad using Aquarium Advice

I'd say white cloud minnows are one of the most undervalued fish in the hobby. I have some in an outdoor breeders tub and they've spawned for me multiple times in 4 days. awesome looking fish and good schooling behavior.

I have quite the list for this. Ba dum tiss. So much rhyme ok here we go...

• Bala Shark- They get huge, are incredibly active and need space, need schools, and did I mention they get big? Seriously I do not see how they can survive in any aquarium and most public aquariums should not house them. They deserve more than the 75 & 90 gallon tanks some put them in. If y'all wanna see the true potential of a Bala and the sheer tank size they'd need go to Texas and visit the Fort Worth Zoo Aquarium.

• Chinese High-Fin Shark- again these fish get too big for most aquariums and truly deserve ponds. I just do not see how any aquarium can house these fish.

• Pacu- Ok I'm really sick of seeing these as available and wide spread as they are in my area. The Petco (and walmart) near me always has a ton in stock and it pains me to think that someone went home with a monster for their 20 gallon. These fish are massive beasts that have 0 place in our hobby. There's no way most ponds can house these fish and I refuse to believe that ANY aquarium can house these fish. This is the best example of freshwater fish that need to stop being sold and let them stay in the wild.

Sent from my iWishiHadaPhone using Aquarium Advice

I have quite the list for this. Ba dum tiss. So much rhyme ok here we go...

• Bala Shark- They get huge, are incredibly active and need space, need schools, and did I mention they get big? Seriously I do not see how they can survive in any aquarium and most public aquariums should not house them. They deserve more than the 75 & 90 gallon tanks some put them in. If y'all wanna see the true potential of a Bala and the sheer tank size they'd need go to Texas and visit the Fort Worth Zoo Aquarium.

• Chinese High-Fin Shark- again these fish get too big for most aquariums and truly deserve ponds. I just do not see how any aquarium can house these fish.

• Pacu- Ok I'm really sick of seeing these as available and wide spread as they are in my area. The Petco (and walmart) near me always has a ton in stock and it pains me to think that someone went home with a monster for their 20 gallon. These fish are massive beasts that have 0 place in our hobby. There's no way most ponds can house these fish and I refuse to believe that ANY aquarium can house these fish. This is the best example of freshwater fish that need to stop being sold and let them stay in the wild.

Sent from my iWishiHadaPhone using Aquarium Advice
I couldnt gree more, espcially Pacu. They can be a true schooling fish and you know they are not getting that.

The Rodney Dangerfield fish...heh

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Aquarium Advice mobile app

The Rodney Dangerfield fish...heh

This made me laugh a little harder than it probably should have. This was a serious thread and now you've broken everything:D

This made me laugh a little harder than it probably should have. This was a serious thread and now you've broken everything:D

I'm sorry bro, couldn't resist, i was giggling while.i typed it.. figured only a few would catch it.. no more funnies back to serious.. oscars, let's start at the pet store.. "well they have 8 in a 20 gal and they look fine..I'll take 3!! For my 20!!" Blahhhhh.. I've got a 75 waiting for some space and one, yes one oscar..

Bettas. But marketing should picture Bettas in 10 gallons vice a small cup container.

I understand why everyone feels that for betas the bigger the better and I personally have never kept one in anything under 5 gallons but they are known to make permanent residence in animal footprints and small puddles in their native land and even have the ability to breathe directly from the air because of them not having enough oxygen in the stagnant small puddle they usually live in.They are also very slow moving and therefore require less space because they spend a lot of their day resting on a leaf or at the surface. They are a fish that can live a fine life in at the minimum 1/2 gallon.

I understand why everyone feels that for betas the bigger the better and I personally have never kept one in anything under 5 gallons but they are known to make permanent residence in animal footprints and small puddles in their native land and even have the ability to breathe directly from the air because of them not having enough oxygen in the stagnant small puddle they usually live in.They are also very slow moving and therefore require less space because they spend a lot of their day resting on a leaf or at the surface. They are a fish that can live a fine life in at the minimum 1/2 gallon.
The Native Betta Habitat – Separating Fact from Fiction | Betta Fish Care

Yeah, I know how it is. I was once misinformed too. The marketing frenzy on Bettas in small containers sways public opinion. It is sad.

I think many people tend to underestimate the bioload or potential size of some fish like oscars or plecos. I'm also not a fan of feeder fish. First, they are carriers of disease and can pass it on to other fish. Second, people may buy these thinking the fish will have a better life or can be cured. That is rarely the case. If people want a nice starter fish great, I'd say go with tetras or danios but don't buy a fish without knowing much about it. This is bad for the fish and the tank.

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

Back
Top Bottom