Fish that should NOT be sold... or at least should come with a legal disclaimer.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Wish someone told me about Chinese Algae Eaters before I got sucked into one.

Mostly it seem like the chain stores that do a lot of this, but also might be just as many LFS that are trying to turn a buck. The guys at my LFS know what size tanks and what fish I have any more *lol*.

My LFS wants to make money but at the same time the folks working there do not want to make money by having your tank die off.

I do like the idea of a little fact sheet or sticker for fish being sold. Might be an idea for the group an previous poster suggested. Print out some fact sheets and have a small web page or links to fish sites.... do it all as volunteers and see if some of our LFS might let us leave the fact sheets.

idk, i love the store i go to now, but they have a green,yellow,red method for novice fish keepers... most of the cichlids are red, but the neolamprologus brichardi are yellow... idk why in the world they are yellow. they are some of the more agressive cichlids, especially around breeding time

I have a CAE too...pain in my @$$. he harrasses any shark like fish. I just got rid of my Bala to someone who could support a fish of that size. When i did that, the CAE went after my SAE during the "struggle for power" after removing the dominent fish...long and short of it...the CAE won....jerk

Bump. Not because I have any new content to add, but because this is the sort of thread which might actually dissuade someone from buying that ill-advised fish, whatever species it may be. Sticky?

Sad story.
I was at the lfs the other day and a little girl was picking out her fish with her dad. She saw a tank of brackish water puffers, and wanted them. Her dad asked the employee "fish expert" if they could go with goldfish. He said "Yeah sure, these guys are nice and hardy"
I had to step in because the dad said ok well I guess we will get three of them then. Come on seriously, puffers need to be in a species only tank, heated, brackish, and have to have very good water quality. And they are nasty little buggers, not good for a goldfish tank at all. I think a ban should also be on the fish store employees who know absolutley nothing about what they are selling!

th08tu- I agree with you. The level of employee knowledge is a seperate rant (future thread) though. The simple fact is that it's difficult to employ higher quality, knowledgable personnel for what the LFSs can afford to pay. Would you pay 25% more per item (including dry goods) to patronize a higher priced, quality staffed store? Remember that they are also competing with online merchants. Bottomline is that it's an unavoidable situation given the need to cut costs and maintain low wages. Quality people with a lot of experience don't tend to want to work for $8 an hour for very long.

and its not really that bad for those of us who go to the lfs knowing what we want and having researched it. what really gets me is the new people to the hobby getting mislead, having issues, and giving up, before they have a chance to experience the joys of having a nice aquarium with healthy fish. I think alot of it is they want to sell as many fish as they can, not realizing that most new people to the hobby will listen to good advice and no knowingly make an oscar suffer in a 10g tank with 10 comets.

but oscars and comets go so good together...
Just kidding don't worry. I agree 100% with you mfdrookie516. People who see their friends tanks and think wow that looks so nice, go to the store and by the $100 dollar startup tank that has a picture of like 15 fish in the ten gallon with crystal clear water, don't understand and by no fault of their own, pick out 15 fish and think their tank will thrive. If only they had found this site first they would understand what is necessary to have a successful happy aquarium, and they will find the hobby much more enjoyable.

oh yeah, i bought my first 55g back in june or july, the day after i got it, i had 18 goldfish in it! Luckily, i found this site soon after, and only lost 4 during the whole process (which i stupidly replaced). Luckily, i found somebody with a huge pond in their back yard that adopted all but 4, then somebody with a 75g adopted the other 4.

HN1, did they ever make any progress with that sticky?

I am the same, I bought my first 10 gallon tank last year, and the same day I bought the starter pack, i bought 7 mollies, on the advice of the lfs that it is best to get the fish in there as soon as possible. Two weeks later I picked up 2 oscars cause their colouring was so cool. Anyways when things started to go bad, as I now was inevitable, i found this site, and returned the oscars, and managed to save the remaining 3 mollies the oscars hadn't eaten. So much for beginners luck eh, I don't think that is possible in this hobby

well you guys thought u started off rough .i started with a 75 gal.with 2 red bellied pacus 4 bala sharks about 10 tiger barbs and a few pictus cats. but then i found this sight and took all my fish to my lfs.[well the very few that surrvived the savage pacus.who evventually got 10 inches before i sold them] and the worst part is petsmart said they would all be fine

yep..he loved those tasty tiger barbs [that is when he could catch them];) R.I.P tiger barbs and everything else that got attacked/eaten by my pacu

Pshaw.... I have you all beat though I'm ashamed to admit this. 6 3" koi in a 2 1/2 Eclipse all in one. Replaced one fish a week for a month before I changed water, took two more months before I decided to research for myself and quit buying new fish and everything the store I was going to wanted to sell. That's why I do everything I can possibly do to keep my fish right and help others now. I have a fishy karma deficit to work on.

I'm gonna go do a water change now, I feel dirty.

wow that is pretty bad lol. I am surprised they were even able to move. oh well look at it this way we learned from our mistakes, and now we have saved fish from their untimely ends by hopefully educating people through this thread and site

yeah i think the person i gave my pacu to had like a 500 gal tank.big right.but i bet hes happy now with some of new pacu buddies:)

Back
Top Bottom