Fish to Cycle

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

roadster33

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Is it too early to add fish to assist in the cycling process? It is almost 2 weeks with 40lbs of live sand and 30lbs of live rock (90gal tank).

I am waiting for the easter sale on Live rock at my LFS. 45% off of regular price...Usually 4.99 per pound so it will be 2.25-2.50 per pound.
Looking for another 50lbs at that time.

Is it too early?

Fish planning to get were Clown Fish (less aggressive for reef than damsels) or tangs.

Please don't cycle with fish, especially clowns or tangs!

You are 2 weeks in, it won't be much longer now. Are you testing your water?

+1 on trying the fishless cycle. Also I would recommend (if you can afford it) to buy a bit more rock 1.5-2 lbs per gallon is good if you can swing it. Rock is expensive though, so many understand if you can't get that much right off the bat!

Fish planning to get were Clown Fish (less aggressive for reef than damsels) or tangs.

Just wanted to say clownfish are damsels and if left alone in a tank will take over the tank.

+1 to fishless cycle

Patience patience patience, say it with me. =)

Thanks

I remember back in the day of assisting the cycling of the tank with damsels.

But, I will wait and just get more live rock and live sand.

I just did a water test last night

Nitrite = 0ppm
Nitrate = 20ppm
PH 8.8
Salinity: 1.024
Ammonia = 0ppm

Your pH is pretty high, but if your nitrites and nitrates are both reading 0 you've finished cycling.

Fish

Would not having my protein skimmer installed cause this problem?

I was going to use my old red sea protein skimmer that I was sitting in my garage but I noticed I needed a new pump to run it.

So instead I just purchased a Aquamaxx 250 in sump protein skimmer.

will this help my tank as it sounds like it is almost ready?

Skimmers won't help with the PH but will help in the system. I believe they also have a break in period so you would want to get it hooked up right away.

With those readings I also agree that your cycle is most likely complete! If you do add more live rock I would recommend doing that before getting fish because there can be some die off depending on how you get it delivered and that can cause another ammonia spike.

Yep. Looks like you are almost there. The protein skimmer should be setup and running ASAP. I still think it is the main piece of hardware in good filtration. I also agree you don't have to sacrifice a fish to get the cycle going. A tiny bit of protein, like a very small piece of shrimp will do it. Get as much cultured live rock as you can that fits the tank. Light everything up and keep testing. Use good makeup water, what comes out of the tap is a huge step backwards.

roadster33 said:
I remember back in the day of assisting the cycling of the tank with damsels.

But, I will wait and just get more live rock and live sand.

I just did a water test last night

Nitrite = 0ppm
Nitrate = 20ppm
PH 8.8
Salinity: 1.024
Ammonia = 0ppm

I would say your cycled

Sent from my HTC ANDROID INCREDIBLE using Aquarium

thank you

Thank you everybody -
I will go and place a shrimp in the tank.

Is this shelled or unshelled? Does it make a difference?

Just as long as it doesn't have cocktail sauce on it you should be fine. Use just a tiny part, not a whole shrimp unless you have a huge tank. A little shrimp will do.

Also I recommend you put it inside a fish net or woman's stocking. That way when it comes time to get it out you have all the pieces in one place.

You don't even have to use a shrimp if you don't want to. I just used fish food. The same effect will be achieved. All you need is some organic material that will be broken down

shrimp

Alright, I just added the shrimp on saturday and I did a water test today.

Nitrite: 3ppm
Nitrate: 15ppm
Ph: 8.2
Ammonia: 0ppm

What phase do you think i am in? cycled or not cycled?

I added 40lbs of live rock...my total of 130lbs of live rock
and total of 50lbs of live sand.

Aquaeuro 250 was just added but I dont have any crude yet.

BTW - I justg saw I had a new friend - 4in bristleworm. Keep him or remove him?

Am I ready for coral and fish or should I wait another week or 2?

You are not cycled but on your way. Getting close. Once you have 0 NitrIte and zero Ammonia (already there) then you would be done.

Remove and throw in sump or just flush. Bristleworms in and of themselves are not bad because they eat leftover food and detritus, but if they get goo large, they MAY attack fish and inverts. It will only get bigger. Get him out now while it's easier.

Back
Top Bottom