Fish waste on bare tank

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Delapool

AA Member
Site Team
Hi, I wanted to post this as an example of the amount of waste that can accumulate in tanks. Especially small tanks. This is a 5 gal tank which has a betta (who was camera shy) and several pond snails. Plastic plants and he gets fed two pellets once a day.

This tank got a 99% water change a week prior to the photo and the betta was re-acclimatized back into his tank. Tank wasn't completely clean but close.

The tank is bare and as you can see the amount of waste build-up is pretty big. Snails as I find them have been going to the DT for the yoyo loaches.

This is an office tank so it makes it easier but swapping from gravel substrate to bare tank has really helped keep the tank cleaner. It does take some time to get used to I found though.

74564-albums13177-picture70730.jpg

Snails create a lot more waste than people think too, thats why they are great for cycling a tank.

True, true - since removing a few more I found I reckon the amount of waste has halved. I used to have larger snails in there but the amount of waste was incredible. Now I like to have just a couple of small snails on clean-up duty.

True, true - since removing a few more I found I reckon the amount of waste has halved. I used to have larger snails in there but the amount of waste was incredible. Now I like to have just a couple of small snails on clean-up duty.

Are they actually cleaning up or just making a mess? [emoji23]

Back
Top Bottom