Fishbowl Stocking Challenge

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

kellyinvancouver

Aquarium Advice Regular
Hello,

A short while after joining this site, I have upgraded my very first betta (the gateway drug) from a dorm room fishbowl to a heated, filtered 5.5 gallon tank. I love nano tanks and would still like to use the fish bowl, so I am proposing a challenge:

Is there anyone who can humanely stock a 1 gallon, planted fishbowl?

Specs:
-Unheated, points given to anyone who knows how to safely heat a 1-gal.
-Unfiltered, but I am willing to put a mini-filter in.

I was considering a few coldwater shrimp, but any fish/invert suggestions are welcome!

You can build a mini-sponge filter. I saw a DIY plan using film canisters & an air pump.

The safest way to heat a 1 gal is to heat the room!! If your room is heated to 75 or so, it should be comfy for both you & the critters. Another alternative is a heating pad under the bowl controlled by a temp controller. They sell those for heating planted tank substrate. Pricey but should work.

As for critters .... You can leave it plant only and do a miniature scape with mini plants ... kinda like a bonsai. Add maybe a few shrimps, maybe some small snails (like MTS). I wouldn't keep any fish in there.

Hello,
Specs:
-Unheated, points given to anyone who knows how to safely heat a 1-gal.
-Unfiltered, but I am willing to put a mini-filter in.

Just vent heat from an xbox360 to the outside of the bowl. Maybe not a good idea seeing as that thing puts out a ton-o-heat.. Still would be a cool project though.

bamboo is a great idea...
i am getting a big bamboo plant pottery ornament as a gift from someone
can i put some ghost shrimps in that assuming the water level does not fluctuate much?

I keep a 1 gallon, filtered with a few yellow shrimp, plants and a physa snail.

You can build a mini-sponge filter. I saw a DIY plan using film canisters & an air pump.

The safest way to heat a 1 gal is to heat the room!! If your room is heated to 75 or so, it should be comfy for both you & the critters. Another alternative is a heating pad under the bowl controlled by a temp controller. They sell those for heating planted tank substrate. Pricey but should work.

As for critters .... You can leave it plant only and do a miniature scape with mini plants ... kinda like a bonsai. Add maybe a few shrimps, maybe some small snails (like MTS). I wouldn't keep any fish in there.

Ooh- got a link for that? I might try my hand at it...

Looks like I'll be making a desktop bowl for work!

No fish, not even one under an inch, will thrive in that small an aquarium. 5G minimum, maybe 3G for a betta but that's even pushing proper husbandry IMO.

Ooh- got a link for that? I might try my hand at it...

This is one plan using a small PH:
Make Your Own Sponge Filter (DIY FILTER PROJECTS)

These are ones using an airpump & a UGF lift-tube:
DIY Sponge Filter
Equipment & D.I.Y. - ShrimpNow !!!

I can't find the link to one using film canisters. Essentially, what he did was use a film canister instead of the UGF lift tube. The ones using the UGF tubes are taller so will have more flow & be more efficient. The film canister one was for a betta cube, so it had to be really short, and the low current suits the betta. Basically, you can substitute the UGF lift tube with any kind of 1" tube you have on hand!

This is one plan using a small PH:
Make Your Own Sponge Filter (DIY FILTER PROJECTS)

These are ones using an airpump & a UGF lift-tube:
DIY Sponge Filter
Equipment & D.I.Y. - ShrimpNow !!!

I can't find the link to one using film canisters. Essentially, what he did was use a film canister instead of the UGF lift tube. The ones using the UGF tubes are taller so will have more flow & be more efficient. The film canister one was for a betta cube, so it had to be really short, and the low current suits the betta. Basically, you can substitute the UGF lift tube with any kind of 1" tube you have on hand!

Got a couple of those on hand... I'll tell you how it goes if I try it!

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom