Fishenthusiast's 30 Gallon Planted Tank

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Update: Sorry, there will be no pictures for this update. I'd like to have stuff grow out a little bit. This tank is starting to hit somewhat of a stride with the little changes that were made, that together are helping the tank. The Blyxa is rapidly getting its red pattern back, the Dwarf Hairgrass is starting to spread, and the BBA and hair algae are dying off (mostly due to my Flourish Excel spot dosing). When I cleaned the glass, there was minimal GSA too. I think a lot of this has to do with flow. Last Wednesday, I positioned the spray bar differently, and the powerhead allows the foreground plants and the Rotala to gently sway.

Hey Fish,just saw your pm...I dose pps-pro&had been thinking about ei..not ready for the change just yet...

sit in silence...

I overdose the heck out of pps pro.. may as well be ei.. never have and deficiencies.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Aquarium Advice mobile app

That's what I was thinking. I thought that instead of constantly messing with PPS-Pro that EI would just be easier.

Hey Fish,just saw your pm...I dose pps-pro&had been thinking about ei..not ready for the change just yet...

sit in silence...

I don't know if I'd ever change it in your case, unless you started getting some deficiencies and didn't want to mess with PPS-Pro anymore. Your tank seems pretty balanced to me. I like PPS-Pro, but I think EI will better suit my tank ?.

I dose EI. Wouldnt have it any other way. Easy as hell and great results

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

I dose EI. Wouldnt have it any other way. Easy as hell and great results

Well that sounds great! I'll start dosing on Sunday. I'll be interested to see how the plants react. When you dose it, do you dose it dry straight into the tank, or do you mix it in aquarium water first and then put it into the tank?

Well that sounds great! I'll start dosing on Sunday. I'll be interested to see how the plants react. When you dose it, do you dose it dry straight into the tank, or do you mix it in aquarium water first and then put it into the tank?

Will be following of course,interested to see how your plants react..

sit in silence...

I mix mine up into premixed bottles. It can defo be dosed straight into the water dry though. I even dose the correct nitrate EI levels now too

Sent from my iPad using Aquarium Advice

Fishenthusiast's 30 Gallon High-Tech Tank

I mix mine up into premixed bottles. It can defo be dosed straight into the water dry though. I even dose the correct nitrate EI levels now too

Sent from my iPad using Aquarium Advice

Good. What is your dosing schedule? I've got down what all I need; I'm just wondering what a good schedule would be for it.

Also, Happy 4th of July to everyone. I'll be headed down to a Reds game today and I'll be watching fireworks there. Hope you all enjoy the fireworks shows and cookouts that you may have!

Good. What is your dosing schedule? I've got down what all I need; I'm just wondering what a good schedule would be for it.

Also, Happy 4th of July to everyone. I'll be headed down to a Reds game today and I'll be watching fireworks there. Hope you all enjoy the fireworks shows and cookouts that you may have!

I just dose directly as EI states. Exact amounts for my tank volume. I then dose alternate as directed. Rest day saturday. 50% water change sunday. I now also do a 50% water change every thursday. This has improved my tank general health a lot. Everything just looks cleaner. I do not struggle with gsa on glass at all. No algae on plants. Just get green algae on the rocks

I just dose directly as EI states. Exact amounts for my tank volume. I then dose alternate as directed. Rest day saturday. 50% water change sunday. I now also do a 50% water change every thursday. This has improved my tank general health a lot. Everything just looks cleaner. I do not struggle with gsa on glass at all. No algae on plants. Just get green algae on the rocks

Okay. Thanks for the info!!

Oh and some algae on one of these guysView attachment 274720

I'm digging that snail! I would get unique snails if it wasn't for the pesky pond snails in my tank. At least my Assassin Snails have some nice meals ahead of them!

I got tonnes of pond snails and red ramshorns. I try to vacuum as many out every water change. Still lots survive though. I figure if they make it to adulthood then they deserve to stay in

I got tonnes of pond snails and red ramshorns. I try to vacuum as many out every water change. Still lots survive though. I figure if they make it to adulthood then they deserve to stay in

I don't mind a couple pond snails, I just don't like a ton of them. That's why I have Assassin Snails! Haha. I know that you are the one to have cool plants. Do you happen to have Ludwigia "Tornado"? Hans Aquatics has it for sale for $6. Looks cool to me.

Yea i have dabbled with it in the past. Extremely cool leaf shape although i struggled to achieve a good looking grouping with it. Im more into bucephalandras nowadays. Im after a new plant now though.... Anubias sp. white. Extremely rare and extremely expensive

Yea i have dabbled with it in the past. Extremely cool leaf shape although i struggled to achieve a good looking grouping with it. Im more into bucephalandras nowadays. Im after a new plant now though.... Anubias sp. white. Extremely rare and extremely expensive

It's not even that white bro:p

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Aquarium Advice mobile app

$110 for that???????????
Ha. Look at me over here complaining about that and I just dropped $71 on friggin substrate.

Fishenthusiast's 30 Gallon High-Tech Tank

I've heard of bucephalandra. Seems like an interesting plant, but I don't know how it'd do in a high tech setup. I like the purple kind!

Just to update everyone on what my future plans are for this tank besides starting EI dosing.

1. I'm going to remove some invasive-looking Hygrophilia that is just shedding leaves very soon. Some Ludwigia repens that it currently in my tank may be moved to that area so it gets more light.

2. I'm going to try to find room to add at least 2 more red plants. Rotala macrandra and AR 'mini' are plants that I'm thinking of.

3. I have some Java Fern on DW that has huge roots that are coming off of the DW. I'm going to think of a way to make all the roots be on the DW so there will be more room for plants. Any suggestions? Maybe Flourish glue?

4. I might add a colorful buce somewhere in the tank, but this may not happen.

If the java is attached to the dw can't you just cut the hanging roots?

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Aquarium Advice mobile app

If the java is attached to the dw can't you just cut the hanging roots?

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Yeah, I'll do that. I'm again thinking of moving the DW to the direct corner of the tank so that the plants receive more light.

Back
Top Bottom