Fishless cycle, waiting for nitrites to drop. Water changes?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
2ppm is fine. It's unlikely that your fish will produce more than that, unless you really over stock

Sent from my GT-I9190 using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Ok cool, why does everyone always dose up to 4 then? Wouldn't that take longer?

I'm not sure why 4ppm is so popular. I've seen many arguments about it, but I've never seen a convincing reason.

Sent from my GT-I9190 using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Well, my nitrites are off the charts again after adding ammonia. I guess I have some nitrite converting bacteria but not enough to process as much ammonia as is being converted.

Well, my nitrites are off the charts again after adding ammonia. I guess I have some nitrite converting bacteria but not enough to process as much ammonia as is being converted.

Mine is doing the same thing. Just checked after the 24 hour test and I've got 0 ammo but 2 ppm nitrites. This process is ridiculously frustrating.

Sent from my HTC6525LVW using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Mine is doing the same thing. Just checked after the 24 hour test and I've got 0 ammo but 2 ppm nitrites. This process is ridiculously frustrating.

Same here as well

Hi Guys, I'm sorry you are still playing the waiting game...I kept my temp at 84 which seemed to help, I don't know if it's worth trying perhaps. Anyway, even though I'm cycled, I'm still here with you. ;)

Your support groupie.

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

Rub it in why don't ya!!! ;-)

I bumped mine from 82 to about 87-88 the other day, and that's when my nitrites started to drop. Could be coincidental, but maybe not.

My day today hasn't been a total loss though. We re-applied the aquarium background with vaseline instead of tape and it looks AMAZING!!! Guess if I can't have fish to look at yet, might as well do something to make it look impressive.

Hey! Vaseline, huh? That is a great idea! I can never get mine perfect and it drives me nuts! I'm gonna try that. Did you seriously coat the entire thing then slap it on?

Nevermind the filter floating around or the panty hose with rocks. The joys of fishless cycling :)

Attachments

• 1408313602540.jpg
    1408313602540.jpg
    251.5 KB · Views: 80
Wow that looks awesome!

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Here was a before pic.

Attachments

• 1408320781920.jpg
    1408320781920.jpg
    255.3 KB · Views: 65
Oh wow I'll have to remember that one

Ok so yesterday I brought my Nitrite down to 0 with water changes and I dosed my Ammonia up to 2ppm. today, I checked 36 hours latter and they are both 0, I think it's just taunting me at this point

Sounds like you're getting close Zoy! My nitrites dropped to zero after a water change and about 28 hours, so I dosed to 4 ppm of ammonia again to test tomorrow night.

Fingers crossed for both of us lol

Re-add me into that waiting too! I fixed my pH issue and re-dosed to 4ppm NH3 today. Keep me updated on how your levels are, they look promising!

Back
Top Bottom