Fishless cycle, waiting for nitrites to drop. Water changes?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
My 24 hour results: ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1408392825.465215.jpg

I would say nh3 0.25 no2 between 0-0.25 and no3 40-80. The pH is concerning me, I would say it's now 6.6. Yesterday it was 7.2. I understand why it's happening, I just haven't read here of anyone else having this issue. I'll keep an eye on it and if I have time tomorrow do a big pwc.

I redosed to just below 4ppm and "now my watch begins."

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

In the guide I've been using from this website, it sounds like a drop in pH isn't out if the ordinary at this stage. Looks like you're nearly there! I'll bet you get zeroes tomorrow! Good luck.

Sent from my HTC6525LVW using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Yes! I think I'm done guys. I'm going to do one more 24 hour test just to make sure and then Wednesday I might get my fish :)

Attachments

• 1408403749763.jpg
    1408403749763.jpg
    39.4 KB · Views: 42
I would say yes! Way to go. I also got some good news tonight!!

Attachments

• 1408409298807.jpg
    1408409298807.jpg
    193 KB · Views: 46
That's awesome!

If I do get my 0's today, do you think I could do the massive water change and then go to the store and pick up the fish?

I'll provide another update in a few hours if I see the same beautiful results you have:)

That's awesome!

If I do get my 0's today, do you think I could do the massive water change and then go to the store and pick up the fish?

I'll provide another update in a few hours if I see the same beautiful results you have:)

I got my zeroes last night and woke up really early this morning, did my 80-90% water change, and had 2 platy fry in there an hour later. They were doing well for the hour or hour and a half before I left for work. I'm going to PetSmart today to get 4 corys, 10 neons, and 6 harlequin rasboras. Next week, I'm going to pick up some rummy nose tetras and then two blue rams.

My understanding was that after you do the massive water change to bring down nitrates, you're good to go.

I got my zeroes last night and woke up really early this morning, did my 80-90% water change, and had 2 platy fry in there an hour later. They were doing well for the hour or hour and a half before I left for work. I'm going to PetSmart today to get 4 corys, 10 neons, and 6 harlequin rasboras. Next week, I'm going to pick up some rummy nose tetras and then two blue rams.

My understanding was that after you do the massive water change to bring down nitrates, you're good to go.

That's exactly what I wanted to here. I'll start changing now. My ammonia was between 0 and 0.25 and nitrite was 0, 2 hours early so I think it's done.

Glad to hear the fish are doing well, post a pic when the whole gang is in:)

Added ammonia last night and had 0s today :D

Will be hopefully adding fish this weekend.

I think it's pretty amazing that 2 weeks ago a bunch of us showed up at out wits ends with a fishless cycle and as of now it looks like we all succeeded!

Great point Grumpy. Best part of these forums is commiserating with fellow aquarists going through the same thing. Makes the waiting slightly more bearable!

There were times that I considered abandoning the process and just grabbing some feeder gold fish or something, but it feels so much more fulfilling seeing it through to the end and knowing I have an incredibly healthy aquarium! Good luck to everyone on the next stage! I expect some pics!

Yay mine was 0s too :) does that make everyone in our little support group lol

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Aquarium Advice mobile app

That's too funny! I think that is everyone! How long did everyone's take? I'm ashamed that mine took only 15 days considering all the whining I was doing ?

Mine was 36 days total to this point. Still have a few days to go before the fish. Overall, just over a month isn't bad. If I had known that it would actually work by this point I wouldn't have freaked out. But the point is that when it hasn't worked, you don't know whether it will ever work, hence the angst.

Mine was only 17, I think the worst part is the middle when you see your ammonia drop for the fist time and then suddenly just want the whole process done lol

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Mine was 20 days...Congrats everyone! Pics to come for sure! I'm going to pick up the rest of my swimmers this week.

Woo go us! My cycle took 48 days, but I had no seeding material and didn't use bottled bacteria. I picked up 10 cardinal tetras yesterday afternoon, and they all survived the night! They are still really shy and hanging out on the bottom but are schooling (I guess you can call it that) so it's pretty cool.

It's so great to finally have something in the tank after almost two months, maybe now my friends will stop ribbing me about it. Thanks to all of you for the support, it was really great to have this thread! Best of luck to all, I'm sure we will be commenting together again :p

So how's everyone doing? Do you guys have fish yet?

Fish are so hard to take pictures of lol. Here is my tank, I didn't realize that this was in the freashwater section but oh well same principles right. I got two Clowns and a kenya tree coral.

Attachments

• 1408720269227.jpg
    1408720269227.jpg
    47.6 KB · Views: 60
  • 1408720287749.jpg
    1408720287749.jpg
    53.1 KB · Views: 55
  • 1408720372928.jpg
    1408720372928.jpg
    54.2 KB · Views: 57
Back
Top Bottom