Fishless cycle, waiting for nitrites to drop. Water changes?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
That looks awesome, the clowns are so pretty!

I welcomed 10 Cardinal Tetras into my apartment on Tuesday, having life in the tank is so great. I never used to sit in the living room because it was so boring, now I'm logging almost all my non-sleeping time at home there so I can watch them! Their color seems to be getting bolder, so I think that means they are calming down. I've tried feeding, but they do not seem to be really interested in swimming up to the top of the tank to get the food. When some of the flakes float down to the bottom, they will gobble it up. You can see the little ones swimming in the back right behind the rock, they much prefer the back half of the tank for now, I'm hoping with time, the get more comfortable and will move about and up!

The bad news: It seems like there are only 7 Cardinals left in the tank. I have no idea what happened to the rest. (Maybe thats why no one is hungry?) Also, checking on them today, one little guy keeps returning to the same spot on the gravel and just laying down, I'm not an expert, but I'm pretty sure thats not a good thing...

I'm gonna go to the LFS tomorrow and see if they have any floating plants that I could grab to provide more shade and something for them to play in (Other than that main rock feature). I'll also see if they have any nice, easy plants for the bottom as well so they have something to play in. I think I will be changing the rock feature too, as long term I will be adding 6 corys and 2 Bolivian Rams and I want them to have more hiding places.

Attachments

• photo (6).jpg
    photo (6).jpg
    254.4 KB · Views: 58
ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1409461018.364665.jpg
This is one of my nerite snails...call her ladybug for obvious reasons. ?
ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1409461091.747433.jpg
This is my 20 gal now. I have some beautiful Mopani wood that is soaking...I'll post picks when it is in the tank too! All mollies are happy as can be!

how much ammonia did you added into your tank. and how long get them developed the nitrite and nitrate.

I started dosing ammonia to 4ppm daily for about a week or until my nitrites were reading off the chart. Then changed to dosing to 2ppm for multiple days until I saw the nitrites start being readable on the chart. I started with about 2 cups of substrate from my LFS. My cycle took about 19 days.

how much ammonia did you added into your tank. and how long get them developed the nitrite and nitrate.

Hey, it took my cycle like 58 days to happen with no seeding material so don't get discouraged. To see how much ammonia to add, I recommend using this site to do the calculation for you, but def double check after adding. I would usually wait an hour so I knew the ammonia had gotten evenly throughout the tank. Www.fishforums.net/aquarium-calculator.htm

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

Back
Top Bottom