Fishless Cycling Question?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Day 8
11:00
PH : 8.0
AMMONIA : 0- .25 ppm
NITRITE : 5 ppm
NITRATE : 40 ppm

Is it suppose to take long for the nitrites to go down?
Should I add more ammonia now?
Should I do any water changes yet ? If not when should I have to ?

Go ahead & redose enough to bring it up to 4ppm. No wcs needed yet but we will keep an eye on everything. The nitrite>nitrate usually takes the longest- if they persist in being high in another wk or so without steady increases in nitrates, then its time for a wc & readjustment in strategy. Nothing to be concerned with at this point in time. :)

jlk said:
Go ahead & redose enough to bring it up to 4ppm. No wcs needed yet but we will keep an eye on everything. The nitrite>nitrate usually takes the longest- if they persist in being high in another wk or so without steady increases in nitrates, then its time for a wc & readjustment in strategy. Nothing to be concerned with at this point in time. :)

Ok great thank you

Still day 7. Just rechecked after dosing with ammonia.

PH : 8.2 ?
AMMONIA : 4ppm
NITRATE : 40 ppm

Will recheck tomorrow afternoon

Day 8

PH : 8
AMMONIA : 0 - .25
NITRATE : 40 - 80 ppm

Looks like my ammonia is getting demolished in a 24 hr period.

Should I go ahead an re dose with ammonia ?

jlk said:
Thats great! Your amm>nitrite bacteria are becoming well established! Go ahead & redose! :)

I know I'm so excited. :). Yay.

I will redose and re post new results here soon

Thanks again JLK

Still day 8
Test results after adding 8 ml of ammonia

PH : 8.2
AMMONIA : 4ppm
NITRATE : 80 ppm

Day 9

PH : 8.0
AMMONIA : .25 ppm
NITRATE : 80 ppm

staticmap

Map?? Am I missing something? Your numbers look good! Skip the amm today & lets see if your nitrites will drop/nitrates increase because your nitrite levels are likely well off the chart at this point. No worries! :)

Ya sorry for the map. Lol. I accidentally hit show location. Lol

Ok I'll skip the ammonia today. Thank you

JLK: quick question

I just read on another thread you commented on. I have a marineland magnum 350 filter that contains carbon. In the instructions it says to replace the carbon in it every month. I have read on other posts that it is wise to only replace half of the carbon media in it once a month.

I read on the other post that the person replace the filter with a completely new filter after they were done with their cycle and it started it all over again.
I also read on another post that they left the old carbon filter media in it for a long time because after the carbon stops taking out the medication etc. the carbon then contains all the benificial bacteria in it.

What should I do about my carbon in the filter? Do I just leave it alone? Do I change only half of it ?
What do I do ?

Easy, nothing! The manufacturers suggest you replace the filter cartridges every month. They want your money! Yes, they house a large portion of your good bacteria- optimal spot for them to colonize with a constant flow of nutrition & oxygen. If you replace them, it will likely throw your tank back into a cycle. Not good. Once your tank is well established (cycled), you just need to swish them in some used tank water once in a while when you do a water change. If theres more than one cartridge, alternate weeks of swishing (one this wk, next following wk). The carbon isnt necessary & will basically just become real estate for your good bacteria to grow on. If you want to remove it, do this right now while your tank is still in the cycling phase before you have fish. Slit the bottom of the cartridge & dump out the carbon & stuff it with polyfill. I have 2 of the big emperor marinelands- does yours have a second set of plastic cartridges that you open & fill with stuff? If so, what do you have in these right now?

jlk said:
Easy, nothing! The manufacturers suggest you replace the filter cartridges every month. They want your money! Yes, they house a large portion of your good bacteria- optimal spot for them to colonize with a constant flow of nutrition & oxygen. If you replace them, it will likely throw your tank back into a cycle. Not good. Once your tank is well established (cycled), you just need to swish them in some used tank water once in a while when you do a water change. If theres more than one cartridge, alternate weeks of swishing (one this wk, next following wk). The carbon isnt necessary & will basically just become real estate for your good bacteria to grow on. If you want to remove it, do this right now while your tank is still in the cycling phase before you have fish. Slit the bottom of the cartridge & dump out the carbon & stuff it with polyfill. I have 2 of the big emperor marinelands- does yours have a second set of plastic cartridges that you open & fill with stuff? If so, what do you have in these right now?

Mine has the cartridge that you fill with carbon. There is another option for a canister filter

jlk said:

First pic has the type I have in it now
The second pic has the canister style
And the third pic is of the carbon media I have in it

I've got the big hob marinelands- they have cartridges for filling with carbon plus another set of carbon pre-filled media cartridges. Up to you if you want to keep carbon or change it out for something else such as polyfill or if there's room for ceramic rings/bio balls/filter foam. I am not personally familiar with this specific filter but I think you have lots of options if you are looking for something more permanent that just needs to be rinsed in tank water on occasion.

Back
Top Bottom