Fishless Cycling Question?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
jlk said:
I've got the big hob marinelands- they have cartridges for filling with carbon plus another set of carbon pre-filled media cartridges. Up to you if you want to keep carbon or change it out for something else such as polyfill or if there's room for ceramic rings/bio balls/filter foam. I am not personally familiar with this specific filter but I think you have lots of options if you are looking for something more permanent that just needs to be rinsed in tank water on occasion.

What would you suggest I do ?

Just my opinion here but I would get rid of the carbon & replace it with something that you can easily rinse such as polyfill or filter foam. I'll have to look at pics on computer tomorrow-the cell pics are tiny! Then I'll have better idea of what is going where! Or you can ask in gen discussion for best stuff to use in this filter besides carbon & what everyone is happy with. You should get some more ideas! Hope this helps!! :)

jlk said:
Just my opinion here but I would get rid of the carbon & replace it with something that you can easily rinse such as polyfill or filter foam. I'll have to look at pics on computer tomorrow-the cell pics are tiny! Then I'll have better idea of what is going where! Or you can ask in gen discussion for best stuff to use in this filter besides carbon & what everyone is happy with. You should get some more ideas! Hope this helps!! :)

I found this stuff at PetSmart
Is this what your talking about ?

mellowyellow said:
Hi. How are you doing with your cycling. I'm sure you knew to use only ammonia without any additives...Shaking the bottle and seeing suds is not good. Good luck. This fishless cycling worked great for me. Just be patient.

Things are going great thanks for asking. JLK is a lot of help

day 10

PH : 8.0
AMMONIA : 0 ppm
NITRITE : 2-5 ppm
NITRATE : 80 ppm

JLK : should I wait another day before I add ammonia ? Or dose it today ?

Thats great! I was hoping for some movement! Skip it for another day & go back to 4ppm dose tomorrow. And, no, your bb won't starve! :)

jlk said:
Thats great! I was hoping for some movement! Skip it for another day & go back to 4ppm dose tomorrow. And, no, your bb won't starve! :)

I didn't even think twice that they would starve. I trust you ;-)

Day 11

PH : 8.0
NITRITE : 0 ppm

JLK : should I dose it to 4 ppm today?

Dosed it to 4 ppm about 6 hours ago.

Just for S&G I tested it anyways
I will retest tomorrow around noon

PH : 8.2 ( seems to get higher every time I dose to 4 ppm of ammonia )
Ammonia : 4 ppm
Nitrite : 1 ppm
Nitrate : 80 ppm

jlk said:
Lol, stop torturing yourself!! :)

Lol. :). I couldn't help it it's just so crazy.

I added ammonia and already after 6 hours have nitrites. It's just amazing to see this stuff happening. It's like a science project.

Now I have an idea on a science project for when my sons get older. Lol

Day 12

Ph : 8.0
ammonia : 0ppm
Nitrite : .50 ppm
Nitrate : 80 ppm

JLK: should I dose ammonia again or wait till tomorrow when the nitrites should be 0 ?

Go ahead & dose! We just have to watch the nitrites in case they get a bit crazy but so far they are doing quite well! :)

day 13
PH : 7.4 - 7.6. ( quite odd considering it's been at 8.0 )
NITRITE : 2ppm

Back
Top Bottom