Fishless Cycling Question?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Not odd. Your tank has been processing huge amounts of amm & nitrites. Carbonates (buffers) are needed to do this. They are being used up & your ph is dropping because there isn't a sufficient amount to keep your ph stable. Just indicates its time for a big water change. Do as close to 100% as you can manage. Make sure you temperature match & properly condition the new water. Then redose to 4ppm & we will see how things look tomorrow! :)

jlk said:
Not odd. Your tank has been processing huge amounts of amm & nitrites. Carbonates (buffers) are needed to do this. They are being used up & your ph is dropping because there isn't a sufficient amount to keep your ph stable. Just indicates its time for a big water change. Do as close to 100% as you can manage. Make sure you temperature match & properly condition the new water. Then redose to 4ppm & we will see how things look tomorrow! :)

Oh god !!!!! Not what I wanted to hear. Lol. In the process right now. I'm filling it back up right now. Ugh. Lol

Sorry! Its pretty hard to get away with a fishless cycle without a single water change. Dont be surprised if you have more in your future! lol :)

Day 14

After 100 % water change and dosing 4 ppm yesterday

Ph: 8.2
Ammonia: 0
Nitrite: 0
Nitrate: 40-80

What do I do now JLK ?

Wow, that water change really helped!!! Yep, dose again & lets see if we can get some consecutive days of steady zeroes after dosing. :)

jlk said:
Wow, that water change really helped!!! Yep, dose again & lets see if we can get some consecutive days of steady zeroes after dosing. :)

Okay. I will dose it tonight. Im going to return to work tomorrow after having 21 days off work for the birth of our second son. So I will be testing my water and doing maintenance at night time around 7-8 Arizona time. I figure this will help dosing tonight so that I'm in a 24 hr period of testing every day. :)

jlk said:

Also if I continue to get consecutive days of zero ammonia and nitrites then I'm cycled right ?

Congrats on the new baby! :) Yes, if you continue to get zeroes steadily for a couple of more days after dosing daily, its safe to say your cycled!

jlk said:
Congrats on the new baby! :) Yes, if you continue to get zeroes steadily for a couple of more days after dosing daily, its safe to say your cycled!

I guess we will see. :)

Just retested for S&G

PH : 8.2
AMMONIA : 4.0
NITRITES : .25
NITRATE : 40-80

Will retest tomorrow night. Fingers crossed. For. zeros.

TTYL

Day 15
Just got home from work

Ph : 8.0
Ammonia : 0
Nitrites : 0
Nitrates : 40

JLK is it safe to say to dose with ammonia ?
And should I be checking it after an hour after dosing or just wait till the following day ?

Yep, go ahead & dose! If you have the desire to torture your self some more, feel free to check again later on! Looks great, btw!!! :)

jlk said:
Yep, go ahead & dose! If you have the desire to torture your self some more, feel free to check again later on! Looks great, btw!!! :)

So then I really don't have to check it again tonight after dosing ?

Back
Top Bottom