Fishless tank cycle stall. -__-

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Dylan5359

Aquarium Advice Addict
So I've been cycling my soon to be 5 gallon dwarf seahorse tank. (can't use live rock, but I have about 2 pounds of dry rock) My ammonia use to be high - like at 8.0 ppm but it's now stable at 4.0 ppm after a couple PWCs. Nitrites still zero and this has been over a while. (like more than three weeks) I've tried adding more phosphates, PWCs, nothing seems to budge. Thanks guys.

just let it do its own thing. add water movement, and eventually that ammonia will becoem nitrites then go to nitrates

Not trying to sound impatient, but this has been over 3 weeks, this isn't normal.

Try adding bacteria like microbelift, unless your against adding things to the water

sure it is. theres absolutly no life on dry rockso it takes time for it to happen. turn off all filtration systems stop doign PWC and just let it form.

let the organics break down and the ammonia form the bacteria it needs. it goes faster this way

I don't want to start the whole thing over, I'm kind of against adding stuff to the water, and having no life on the rock has nothing to do with it. I have seen tanks cycle without LR.

Just keep going at it then, add a small amount if fish food to be broken down...

Gti_Leo said:
sure it is. theres absolutly no life on dry rockso it takes time for it to happen. turn off all filtration systems stop doign PWC and just let it form.

let the organics break down and the ammonia form the bacteria it needs. it goes faster this way

I only did two PWCs because of the high ammonia.

My 46 gallon took 4 1/2 weeks to bring my ammonia down. I felt a if it was never going to happen. Looking back I think if I wouldn't have done so many PWC it wouldve cycled faster. As long as there is no life in your tank just let your ammonia rise and don't do any more PWC until your cycle is finished. This hobby is all about patience. Good luck.

just my personal experience but ive never liked the dosing ive always done the shrimp method and my cycle doesnt take more then 2-3 weeks

Dylan I think you started in March? On your thread you said the 12th. So almost 2 months. (Backin' you up that this isn't normal ;))

I think the problem is that you did PWC before you were cycled. I like the shrimp method since there isn't a whole lot to it. Just place the shrimp in there, and it does it for you.

Again, I did a PWC because the ammonia was too high. (8.0 ppm) I am doing the shrimp method.

Lowering ammonia from 8ppm to 4ppm won't stall an already stalled cycle.

jenatron said:
Lowering ammonia from 8ppm to 4ppm won't stall an already stalled cycle.

I was talking about when it was first at 8.0 and everyone on my thread thought it was because of ammonia. I did the PWC then.

hackteck said:
how many shrimp did you use? you werent supposed to use the whole nbag :ROFLMAO: just kidding lol

Lol. I used a whole shrimp. :( I didn't realize it was so much.

Back
Top Bottom