Fishtank logistics

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Gubernaculum86

Aquarium Advice Freak
I have had 55 FOWLR for about 2 yrs now and as great as it is, the size does limit the kind of fish you can have. I have been looking into getting a bigger tank (125-180gal), but it won't be until I finish school and move out in about a yr to yr and a half.

The thing that worries me about having such a large tank is the logistics of it. When I change 10gal in my 55 it's a relatively simple thing, but how do u go about changing 25-40 gal of water every other week?
I was wondering if any of u with larger tanks could briefly describe how u go about caring for them and if they really are much more work?

I used a python to get the water out and used a bucket brigade to get water in.

I put a pump in a bucket and just keep filling the bucket when it runs low.

ghetto but efficient

well i got a 32G brute plastic trash can and i mix my saltwater in there and i have a pump with a vinyl tube on it and i pump the water out of the trash can back into the tank i will do this very same task on my 180G im building its fast and easier then carrying buckets lol

I do the same as HackTeck use a 50 gallon barrel I got from a feed store,keep in in the garage with my ro/di unit.Mix the salt in it and then pump it through half inch plastic tubing to my sump while draining from top back corner of display tank through another piece of half inch tubing to the yard.Actually did a 50 % water change today which is 35 gallons for me,didn't take long at all.

I do the same as HackTeck use a 50 gallon barrel I got from a feed store,keep in in the garage with my ro/di unit.Mix the salt in it and then pump it through half inch plastic tubing to my sump while draining from top back corner of display tank through another piece of half inch tubing to the yard.Actually did a 50 % water change today which is 35 gallons for me,didn't take long at all.

yea its super quick this way

Oh ok yeah that sounds like it would go really quickly, doesn't sound as bad as I thought it would be. Any other things that are done different with a large tank?
Also do you guys buy ur salt in bulk? I can imagine it gets fairly expensive having to buy 30 gal worth of salt every 2 weeks.

i plan on buying a 200G drum of salt i mix my own sw i have an ro unit where i run into my brute can but right now i just buy the 50G bags til im ready to start filling up this 180G

Ricksreef said:
I buy the bucket that is good to do 160 gallons,usually catch it on sale for $49.95.

Oh ok that's not too bad then. I got some time to plan this lol. I figured I would start gathering stuff slowly.

I have a flow valve in my water out hose that I adjust as I'm doing the change so my input flow keeps up.

to make it easier i just shut everything off pump the water out of the sump pump the new water in the sump and i take about 5 gallons out of my dt too i have it marked so i know how much to change then pump it back to the line and turn everything back on my 55G i usually change about 12-15G a week probably overkill but everything in my tank is thriving so i stick with it

I do things a little different.I do a 50% water change once a month.I have a 75 gallon with 20 gallon sump.Actual total water volume is 70 gallons total both tanks after displacement of rock,equipment etc.So I do 35 gallons pumping out of display tank while pumping in to sump at the same time.I was taught this way by a very experienced LFS owner seven years ago and have been doing it that way successfully ever since.I do check and add calcium and buffer supplements weekly as needed.

yea the end result is the same just a little different whatever works

Your biggest challenge ,and I mean biggest is going to be curbing the urge to be constantly going and buying a new fish or coral and keeping yourself out of the poor house.LOL

Your biggest challenge ,and I mean biggest is going to be curbing the urge to be constantly going and buying a new fish or coral and keeping yourself out of the poor house.LOL

lol its an addiction i have a tank ready to upgrade to and im still buying corals for the 55G i cant even really say why im doing it i need help!

Ricksreef said:

Haha I know that's already happening with my 55 gal. That's why i figure a large tank won't really limit what I can put in it too much.

Back
Top Bottom