floating plant identification

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Its water lettuce. Some people will call it dwarf water lettuce. It grows quite large in ponds but I moved some small plants indoors this summer & its stayed very small.

That looks like salvinia minima to me actually. Water lettuce would be equally as good for hatchets though.

HN1 said:
That looks like salvinia minima to me actually. Water lettuce would be equally as good for hatchets though.

How do you differentiate salvinia from water lettuce without seeing from a topview? The plants in the video look exactly like what's floating in my tanks, feathery roots & all. Thanks!

So there is someone on here that sells this as I purchased some of them recently!! I love mine and my fish do as well!! Check the classifieds on here!! It was priced well too!!

How do you differentiate salvinia from water lettuce without seeing from a topview? The plants in the video look exactly like what's floating in my tanks, feathery roots & all. Thanks!

The roots look exactly the same. I may not be right, but the difference in leaf numbers and growth among the healthy plants looks more like salvinia to me. Top view is definitely a better angle for an ID.

Reactions: jlk
i dont know if ill go with that. i was thinking about maybe planting Vallisneria Jungle letting it grow over and trim it. Heard those floaters are hard to keep under control. but thanks for the help.

Back
Top Bottom