Flourite Black Sand for 10gal Planted Shrimp setup

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

The CodFather

Aquarium Advice Freak
Anyone used this sand or heard pros/cons about it for a med planted small shrimp tank? I found it on Drs Foster and Smith. I would love any recommendations for better black sand or things that work for yall for the substrates.

Thank you!!

Fluorite has been known to raise pH occasionally, but this isn't always the case. It would work fine in a shrimp tank. Shrimp aren't too picky about substrate.

Thank you so much Bud!! Is there any other kind that would be better that comes in a black sand that would be more beneficial to the plants?

I'v read that you have to wash the heck out of Florilte. I used Eco-complete I my 40 and love it. No rinsing just but it in a done. Plus it doesn't breakdown over time so it doesn't need to
Be replaced. It's about 20 buck a bag but you would only need one for a 10g. I highly recommend it.

Thank you so much Pfishfriend!! I had heard that about the regular flourite but hadnt heard anything about their flourite sand. I wonder if it breaks down like that too?

Thank you so much Bud!! Is there any other kind that would be better that comes in a black sand that would be more beneficial to the plants?

I know that there is Eco-Complete black sand, and I may be wrong but i don't think you have to rinse it as much as fluorite. But, just like fluorite it has been known to, on occasion, raise pH.

Anyone used this sand or heard pros/cons about it for a med planted small shrimp tank? I found it on Drs Foster and Smith. I would love any recommendations for better black sand or things that work for yall for the substrates.

Thank you!!

I have a Flourite (not sand) in my Fire Red Shrimp 5.5g and they have thrived.

In the past, I've had a dirt substrate with a sand cap with some RCS. Also thrived.

There are specialty Shrimp substrates (made by Fluval if I remember right) that also help plants out. But I really don't think they're necessary.

I guess what I'm saying is...there are plenty of options and most work well :)

Hi all, I went ahead with the Eco Complete and am in the midst of my cycling but now cant get my Ph down below 8. Will this come down with time and all the water changes I'll be doing with the cycle? I am doing a fishless (shrimpless) cycle. This is my first shrimp only tank and my first time with Eco Complete so I'm at a loss with these Ph levels.

Thank you all so much for your help!!

I forgot to mention this is a medium-high planted tank with 2 pieces of driftwood and the Ph levels are at 8.2 again this morning after a 75% water change last night. I am using the freshwater test kit. Will the Ph come down eventually for it to be healthy to add shrimp? Is this normal with Eco Complete or should I be looking for a different problem area?

I just started a 20 gallon long shrimp tank with the eco complete. It has not raised my ph at all. Think that is one of the disclaimers on the bag also.

I forgot to mention this is a medium-high planted tank with 2 pieces of driftwood and the Ph levels are at 8.2 again this morning after a 75% water change last night. I am using the freshwater test kit. Will the Ph come down eventually for it to be healthy to add shrimp? Is this normal with Eco Complete or should I be looking for a different problem area?

It would be interesting to know what the pH is for your water straight from the tap (assuming this is what you are using) and the same water 24 hours later.

Back
Top Bottom