Fluval Spec V 19l - Female Betta(s)

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

LAG95

Aquarium Advice Newbie
Hello

I have a Fluval Spec V Planted (pic attached) My first planted aquarium.. Actually really my first tank if we are not counting goldfish that i currently have in a tub whilst a big tank cycles for them because I purchased without research.

1929026_1078686668829467_4769129065380158396_n.jpg

I have had it set up around 12 weeks and had my Female betta for around 7. At the moment having a very small brown algae problem just on a few rocks/the coral.

I dose it with EasyCarbo fertilizer every so often and use Tetra aquasafe to de-chlorinate on small water (about 15%) changes once a week and do a larger one (about 30%) once a month or so.

I bought the Fluval Spec with the initial idea for 1 female betta and a few guppys..

Figured out that this tank is really a bit too small and I should have gotten a 10 Gallon.
But anyway

I know the answers are going to be that it is too small etc but I want to ask:

Could I get away with having 2 females in there?
(there is the possibility of bullying with only 2 yes)

The bio load should be okay I think with all the plants and the big filter the spec comes with

If your answer is NO then what else apart from snails could be a good idea?

Thank You
Luke

I wouldn't to 2 females as that will be ugly, 1 will dominate. As for other fish, most nanos are too small thus the betta may eat them....

I think ember tetras are your best bet, they may not get eaten.

Ghost shrimp are nice as well(and very cheap in the US, so if one gets eaten not too big of a deal)

Brown algae is common in new tanks. Itll go away if youre not overdosing on ferts and blasting it with light

I agree with above post. I wouldnt do 2 females. Better off with a male and female. Shrimp will get shattered in that tank unless u go with flower shrimp (bamboo, wood shrimp) since theyre big enough. Maybe an amano. Snails are about all you could do other than maybe a tiny school of like 4 neons.

- St Charles Almendras Geraldizo

Curious to why you suggest a male and a female? That would DEFINITELY result in a death! While 2 females might work, if they were both raised together from fry....

So you've had a male and a female together with good results? Over a longer time period?

In a big tank that's heavily planted it could work but in a 5gal they'll find each other.

In a 5 gallon with a bushy red crypt in the middle and they didnt hide from each other.

6 months

- St Charles Almendras Geraldizo

Very nice looking! I have the same tank with shrimp only.

I would only do one betta. Even breeders keep males and females separated except for actual breeding.

There are a number of nano fish you could keep with the betta. I have a 5g with a betta, B. maculatus, and pygmy cories.

Shrimp are iffy with bettas...some are fine with adults, some aren't. Most shrimplets would end up eaten though.

Back
Top Bottom