food for my cichlids

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

ssegar

Aquarium Advice Newbie
I have two jacks two oscars and two green severums they are pretty much full grown and man they can eat. i was thinking of breeding / raising food for them but not sure of what to do any suggestions?

Hello ssegar. I feed my SA Cichlids live ghost shrimp, live guppies, shrimp pellets, algae wafers, Omega One Color flakes, bloodworms, brine shrimp, spirulina, krill and mysis shrimp. Of course I mix it up. :) Guppies, Goldfish, and Ghost shrimp are cheap from the LFS, so unless there is nothing its much easier to just buy them and store them in a small tank and feed as needed. But if not, breeding guppies is very easy. I do it just for general amusement. :) But I end up feeding more bought fish than breeders, the cycle can take a bit. Although I have never had luck breeding goldfish, you could give that a try if your fish are adults.

Breeding convicts is a sure fire way for feeder fish, everything I have read about them as feeders says they are healthier then goldfish and give a higher return as well.

i also think convicts make good feeders. if you want to let them get a little bigger before you want to feed them, you can slice off their top fins so that they dont pose a choking hazard for your guys...

Convict make excellent feeders. I have a pair. They breed like rabbits too!! Good advice.

Back
Top Bottom