Free Tank !

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

JennaSimpson

Aquarium Advice Activist
Just picked up a new tank ! Any Ideas ??

Attachments

• image-4120914781.jpg
    image-4120914781.jpg
    58.4 KB · Views: 181
  • image-876908135.jpg
    image-876908135.jpg
    63.6 KB · Views: 172
  • image-3234279898.jpg
    image-3234279898.jpg
    61.5 KB · Views: 165
I've gotten the vast majority of my tanks for free from either freecycle or from my local fish club. Sweet deal! (y)

That looks like the Eclipse style hood by Marineland. I'll echo an earlier responder, "what size?"

If we could know the size, or even the measurements we could give you thousands of ideas on what to put in it! You could also do a planted tank as well, just thought that I'd throw that in there...

30 gallons I'm guessing . It's up and running , stands not the most gorgeous but not bad . It is an eclipse , everythings in the hood . Not sure what that everything is or exactly how it works . I was also given a ten gallon to make a sump for it , which I have no idea how to do , would love to do sw , but that depends on how much extra I'll have to buy for it .

Attachments

• image-870302198.jpg
    image-870302198.jpg
    60.9 KB · Views: 142
You'd have to get live rock, salt, maybe a powerhead, a skimmer. I think that's it but I'd wait for some salties to come I'm a fresh kinda girl:)

Yea , I'm not sure I'll have to see when I go pick it up Thursday . I was too tired to break it down today . What is a good coral wattage ??

I just pm-ed a salty person, the best one on here IMO, so hopefully they will chime in soon:D

You could of course use that tank for salt water. :) You wouldnt be able to keep a huge assortment of corals though, its only a dual bulb and looks like t8 bulbs to me. You could keep mushrooms and zooas and maybe some leathers.

In a 30g tank you could fit a pair a clowns and maybe another fish you like. It looks like the tank is deep rather than having a larger base so you shouldnt try to fit too many fish in there. :)

You could also add hermits, snails, and shrimp of course!

So Carey since you are the expert and I am Saltless , what exactly would I need to buy and do to make this a sw ?

I'm far from an expert, LOL. I've just setup a bunch of tanks so I kinda know what ya need. :)

You'd need at least 30lbs of rock, live or base(dead), 30lbs or so of sand, a powerhead and salt. You also should use ro/di water which means either like $70 for your own machine or buying it from your lfs or a supermarket water machine. You''ll need a heater just like in fw so thats no different. You can use your current filter setup too.

If you have the money a refractometer $30, or a hydrometer $15 for testing salinity.

Thats all I can come up with off the top of my head.

Hope that helps!

Wow so I wouldn't be that bad after all .. Thanks Carey ! You've put my mind at ease & they possibilities are flowing !

Back
Top Bottom