FresH2O's 20g planted rescape

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Get some tiger endlers.....lol. Only saying that cause I have a bunch to get rid of.

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

I'm sitting at a bar (long story) trying to multi quote. Not going to happen.
I think the diversity of nano species offers quite a selection to choose from. For a tank my size they are perfect.
Now the questions:
Preferred temps for the species I've mentioned? Currently temp is 78-80F. Subject to change as per their requirements.
Kuhlis (yes, not nano) ...do they deal well with bright light? I have decent plant cover. Just no floating plants except for the occasional water lettuce. Should I worry about them jumping out of an open top tank? Do kuhlis uproot plants?
My LFS has kuhlis, CPDs, and furcatas from time to time. I recently joined a club and if I can figure out how the pre-auction stuff works then that might be another place I can obtain these.
Badis. Or should I say Bada$$? The only thing that I am concerned is if they are picky eaters.
If I left anyone out, my apologies. Thanks for following.

Buy them all (y)

My CPDs and furcata are in 77-78 degree water.

Badis...looking forward to responses, just ordered on yesterday :whistle:

Kuhlis really are awesome. I got a group of adults in 2003 that I lost the last of two years ago. Never had them uproot plants or try to jump. They are definitely bottom fish, as long as you have plant cover there they'll be happy once settled in.

Sorry I'm old and brain fart all the time...how big is this tank?

Teresa - It's a 20g long. Thanks for the feedback. So the club I just joined...I hear the April auction can run up to 8 hours due to the vast inventory. That's crazy.
I feel like this is an intervention group trying to get me to buy fish :)

Those futcata rainbows are crazy cool...would love to have some in my tank!

Getcha sleeves wet fish tank people!

Teresa - It's a 20g long. Thanks for the feedback. So the club I just joined...I hear the April auction can run up to 8 hours due to the vast inventory. That's crazy.
I feel like this is an intervention group trying to get me to buy fish :)

Nice size tank for the kuhlis!

Did you end up joining PVAS?

I think getting the temp around 77 will suit any aforementioned species just fine. I think in read somewhere that kuhlies are escape artists?? Could be a different variety though.. yoyo perhaps? They will most likely seek shade from the leds but we never really know. I have yet to see my scarlet eat anything other than one random white thing that it sniped from the dhg.. you have a very mature tank with all types of micro fauna so I very much doubt starvation will be it's demise. Besides.. you could always get an rcs colony going in there;)

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Kuhlis do appreciate plant cover, but I think they'd be just fine in your setup. They don't uproot plants either from what I've seen. Another option for you could be Threadfin Rainbows. When I had them, they were pretty cool. I had trouble with my females though. The males...not so much. Once my group decreased in size, some of the males died off. I still do have one male though that is doing well. I just can't replace these fish as easily since they cost an arm and a leg at every fish store I see them at.

Go Reds!

My lfs sells them for $14/ea. They do look amazing though..

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Thanks for the info on the kuhlis. The tank is half covered. I had a versa top and the hinge split so I just use the front half that has the handle. There are lots of places for them to hide in the vegetation and the new DW should help. The question about the uprooting; I've found that the MTS do a pretty good job at uprooting the newly planted Downoi and star repens.
I have one Amano shrimp in there and it is pretty easy to spot when I am moving things around. I would be concerned about the RCS babies. I would have to put sponges over the intake. If anything, I would add more amanos.
I've seen threadfins at the LFS for about $11. I am on a call list from the same shop whenever furcatas show up (they call on shipment receiving day). I will see what's in stock next week. This club I'm in has monthly auctions and there is a preview site on the web (just need to figure out where to go). I want to work that in as an option as well.
The embers and Otos are doing fine. They were snacking on an algae wafer the other day. I don't see the embers eating often but they are eating something because they are pudgy little fish in translucent tangerine skin. If their behavior in the planted tank is consistent with the QT, I predict they will school a lot the first few days and then setup camp in their own spots. However, the presence of the larger gold tetras might change the dynamics of that.

Update with pics! Added the embers and Otos. The embers hid in the plants initially and are now schooling and checking out the tank. I added some food and they picked at it. The Gold Tetras are ignoring them for the most part. Otos started grazing within minutes and are checking out everything.
Since I reduced the light duration, I have not had to clean the front pane. I'm thinking the Otos will keep it clean moving forward. They are busy bodies.
A small patch of UG was replanted and secured with toothpicks. H2O2 treatments killed off the nuisance algae on this plant. Fingers crossed.
QT has been cleanup and should be ready to go with new fish. Might wait for the weather to warm up some.
Pics for now. Video later.
Rare daytime FTS:
YIBQ7qU.png
Close of foreground plants and DW roots:
mYas5D8.png
Embers!
HS8IpWj.png
view from the side:
g4Ih1uw.png
FTS
4JoI33N.png
QT cleanup up
GW06BZ6.png

Fishies!! Digging ths tank fresh!

Whats the red plant in picture #2? Ludwigia sp red?
Sent from my SCH-I545 using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Back
Top Bottom